black snakes can kill chickens

lilmagill

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
davidson, north carolina
i just thought i'd let you all know that i have 2 confirmed reports from friends who have witnessed a black snake constricting and killing their hen(s). they try to swallow their heads, but can't. you will know bc there is a slime left on their heads. this is important information as i have NEVER heard this before, and only heard what we all thought, that black snakes do not harm the chickens. i don't know what extenuating circumstances there were for the snake to try to swallow a full grown chicken, but it did happen.

Wow! Thanks for the warning! We have had several large black snakes in our coop, but so far they haven't killed any of our hens

I lost 2 grown buff Brahma banties and 2 half grown chickens to black snakes. One of the full grown was broody, it was in the daytime, she was sitting there in her trance, found dead on floor with the neck and head wet / slick. I have killed every one I could, finally got some shotshell for the 38. I am not touching them to relocate. I can tolerate mice but not snakes killing my beloved chickens.

Back
Top Bottom