Black Spanish Turkey Injury

VeeinNC

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2021
I have a couple of black spanish turkeys and recently we had an incident in the barn. I don't how she managed it but one of the turkeys wound up with her leg impaled on the end of a rock rake. We freed her, stopped the bleeding and got her to the medical pen we keep for sick and injured animals. Despite our best efforts she lost half of her leg. Otherwise she seems happy and is eating. My quandry is can I put her back with the rest of the turkeys? I've moved her to a small chicken pen where her size ensures she is not going to be picked on but I would love to see her back with her own kind. Advice?

I have a couple of black spanish turkeys and recently we had an incident in the barn. I don't how she managed it but one of the turkeys wound up with her leg impaled on the end of a rock rake. We freed her, stopped the bleeding and got her to the medical pen we keep for sick and injured animals. Despite our best efforts she lost half of her leg. Otherwise she seems happy and is eating. My quandry is can I put her back with the rest of the turkeys? I've moved her to a small chicken pen where her size ensures she is not going to be picked on but I would love to see her back with her own kind. Advice?
Try the see but no touch method first. If they don't try attacking her through the fence you can then let her back in for a supervised visit. Be prepared to move quickly if they start to attack her.

Back
Top Bottom