Black unabsorbed egg yolk?

Semta

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2020
IMG_20200930_185800.jpg

So I was given this chick because I love helping animals. I have never raised a chick before so I'm just guessing based on research.

With that said, the chick has a bump around it's navel that looked like pictures I saw of an unabsorbed egg yolk. It's eating and pooping fine, though I do have to clean it's butt pretty often because the poop gets stuck around there.

So my question: is it going to be ok? Is the thing there just going to dry out and drop off or something? Or is it more serious that I should bring it to the vet? Or is it that I should bring it to vet only if it shows signs of sickness?

I think the chick will be fine. I hatched a chick like this a couple years ago, & he's just fine. The yolk sac will fall off over time.

Do you have friends for this chick?

Thank you! I don't quite have any friends yet, but I would like to get it some friends. How many chick friends should I probably get? The person who gave us the chick said it was bullied by the others and was worried about it's survival, but i thought I remembered chickens being pretty social animals.

Thank you! I don't quite have any friends yet, but I would like to get it some friends. How many chick friends should I probably get? The person who gave us the chick said it was bullied by the others and was worried about it's survival, but i thought I remembered chickens being pretty social animals.
2-3 chick friends at most.
Yes, chickens are very social creatures.

Back
Top Bottom