Bleach in water...

MeBeetle

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2021
Ok, so... I’m using nipple waterers and a rain barrel to water my girls. Rain is collected off the asphalt coop roof.

I have a 50 gallon drum. How much bleach should I be using to keep it algae/mosquito/slime free? Capful a week? Half cup per day? Wondering what a safe, effective dose would be...

A dose that is considered safe for humans is 1/4 cup per 400 gallons .....

I run my entire house on collected rain water, it goes from a metal roof through gutters, then through a primitive gravel, then sand and charcoal filter, to settlement tank(s), then into a concrete cistern. The way a pre filter is attached, can also stop mosquitos from entering.

The only time I have a problem with algae is when a translucent tank sits in direct sunlight. This can be remedied by covering the tank with something to block the sunlight, such as a tarp, by painting the tank black, or removing it from direct sunlight. My tanks are under my deck, and usually don't get pumped into the cistern for a week or more.

In the summer heat, I prefer the tarp method, as this seems to cover the inlet, limiting the skeeters access to the water to lay eggs. A rag or towel with a zip tie, or rubber band over the opening works as well. A dark colored, opaque tank should have very little to no algae growth.

Also, if rain is expected, and my settlement tanks are full, or partially full, I add a bit too much bleach and agitate , then purge the water out, leaving a tiny bit of water in the bottom, with nice bleach smell in the tank. This method works great for me, leaving little to no bleach smell in my main cistern.

One more note ..... My chickens seem to like a bit of algae in their water !!! YMMV

Hope this helps .....

Back
Top Bottom