Bleeding then Swollen Leg

ChickenAJ

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Missouri, USA, Earth
I have a 4 week old Cream Legbar chicken who has a hurt leg.

A couple days ago when I held her, i noticed a small amount of blood on my hand. I briefly looked it over then, but didnt see anything concerning.

Today i noticed she has started lying down more often and limping when she walks. Other than that, she seems happy and fine, even able to escape me trying to catch her.

When I finally caught her and looked at her legs a little better, I noticed her inner left leg, around where the feathers start, is swollen (on the inside of the leg). It is reddish-purpleish like a bruise. She did not show any pain when I cleaned the area with a wet, soapy paper towel. And after getting her feathers wet, I still saw no indication of a cut or any other reason why she would have bled.

Can anyone please advise what to do?

All chicks were vaccinated with Mareks. She is the only chick limping or seems to be affected. We have two cream legbars who look very similar to each other, but I am pretty sure this is the same chick who bled the other day.

They have also had on-and-off diarrhea since their first week (and we still are unsure of the cause), but I am thinking that is probably a separate issue.

I will try to post a photo, but no guarantees, as it should probably require four arms.

Here is a photo. I put water on her leg to help the feathers spread. She is a very good girl for being so still. BAE295E0-D7D5-4910-9AB6-99C7AE7CD24A.jpeg

😡 Why would a moderator delete? I have a hen with a similar issue. Glad to hear it had gotten better.
Threads don't get deleted...as you can clearly see.

Can you take a clear video of your bird standing/trying to walk and upload it to Youtube real quick?

Back
Top Bottom