Blood in Mouth After Fox Attack...Now What?

sleeptightcoop

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Tonight my housemates heard squawking outside and ran out to find one of our 3 year old Light Brahma hens in the mouth of the fox! When the housemate screamed, the fox dropped the hen and ran. After inspecting the Brahma, we find that she is missing a lot of feathers, but appears to have no wounds, no broken skin and no broken bones. She walks and moves well. I couldn't feel anything "abnormal" when feeling around her abdomen (but I'm no vet). BUT, she had some blood in her mouth and sounded like she was choking on blood or aspirating blood. Able to breathe, but wet-sounding. We were ready to just put her down, but the wet breathing seemed to stop after about 20 minutes. It is late so we will set her up in her own box for the night.
THEN WHAT? Will she survive? Are there any ways for us to check on our own if she has fatal internal damage? Or should we just wait it out?

Help!
Thank you chicken forum friend!

most predators bite on birds is over the wings where the lungs are, crushing it.... keep her warm and leave her in a dark space if she's ok the next day then don't worry about it.

UPDATE:
As of 7am this morning, the Brahma got out of her box in the bathroom and started flapping around. She seems strong. No wet sounds while breathing. No new injuries apparent. We put her back outside with the rest of the gang (6 other hens), and she ate and drank water with the rest of them. Gave her some milk. For now, we will just keep an eye on her for any abnormal behavior or symptoms...
Anything else we should be looking for? (Aside from that FOX?)

Back
Top Bottom