Bloody cheese curds in poop?

ChicoryBlue

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 8, 2020
Central New York USA
Butters is a three year old Buckeye and has lost a lot of weight (2 lbs 12 oz several days ago), loss of appetite. Vet said her blood work is fairly normal, showing some inflammation, liver is normal. Was guessing heart or kidney failure then. I've been tube-feeding her about 35ml of Exact baby bird formula made into a gruel with water and about two teaspoons of coconut oil (now about 1 teaspoon), once a day. She wasn't pooping normally, but she was very interested in grit. She finally passed some poop (2 inches of a finger-sized poop, attached to a very long (6") fibrous stem of a plant). After that she perked up a lot and passed a lot of strands of grassy material, then just watery light green poops. Her appetite is better, but when I don't give her a tube-feeding she regresses and loses the appetite and her energy. She has not been laying.

Found this poop today soon after letting them out of the run, didn’t see who made it, but I suspect Butters because she is not well, but I am not sure who did it. I did a float test yesterday of a Butters poop (passed right in front of me) because she wasn't looking good. I found nothing of note except two tiny red strands that I think are blood tissue, like tiny capillaries maybe. So seeing blood here I assumed it is her. Is this tumor nodules, or bits of a lash egg, if you can tell? More description below.

PXL_20230825_141455048.jpg

I took the lower right-hand curd bit that has blood around it and broke it open. It was very firm and made of tiny crumbles, in fact the very center was quite dry.
PXL_20230825_142038966.jpg

Butters did poop a bit later - first passed gas and then this, with no blood. The coop overnight haul showed just the usual looking poops- her lighter green, wet poops with bits of food in it, and the other two hens' very dark robust regular poops.
PXL_20230825_141709215.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230825_141709215.jpg
    PXL_20230825_141709215.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom