Bloody Stool, Panting, Pale and Not Eating - 17 weeks old

sarachristie

Hatching
Jul 3, 2023
Please help, my poor speckled sussex was ill when I came out this morning. She had a ton of bloody poop beneath her roost, and it was splattered on the wall of the coop and on one of her flockmates. Blood everywhere. There was no red left in her face, she is super pale. She let me catch her easily, she usually has a lot of spunk and makes me chase her. She has also been panting all day. Because of all the blood I immediately started her and the others on Corrid. She continued to produce bloody stool on my lap while I gave her water/corrid. She has showed little improvement, hasn't eaten all day and has just been laying around panting when I don't have her on my lap syringing her water/corrid mixture. She did go up her ramp and roost by herself tonight -so I'm holding out hope she can recover.

What I don't understand is I don't see panting/hoarse sounding voice anywhere as Coccidisis symptoms - I'm worried I'm missing something.

1) Speckled Sussex around 17 weeks old, is not laying yet. She has always been smaller than my other four, can't tell if she has lost weight.
2) This morning I discover A LOT of bloody stool under where she had roosted all night. She was in the run, but looking extremely pale in the face, and moving slowly and acting very tired like. Also panting and sounded hoarse.
3) She was fine yesterday and her stool was normal yesterday.
4) So far no one else has symptoms - she is with 3 other hens.
5) No signs of trauma, but a lot of bloody stool over night - which continued throughout the day.
6) The only thing I can think of is we replaced the sand in the coop a week ago and it was a little damp, but I didn't think much of it ---- now I'm concerned I provided a damp place for coccidisis to take root.
7) She did not eat today, shes been on starter/grower. I gave her water with corrid by hand with a syringe today.
8) Poop looks like blood and raspberry perserves -- we haven't given them berries and there aren't any growing in our yard.
9) I started my flock on Corrid today - 2 tsps in a gallon of water.
10) I called vets today, I cannot find one that will see her, so I'm on my own.
11) Our coop has sand on the bottom. I clean it everyday at most, every other day when I'm slacking. The run is also sand, I rake this out once every two weeks. They spend as much time as possible grazing outside the run in my small yard.

Images of the poop under her roost, her yesterday (photo with the red chair) vs. her today (photo behind cage -- looking very pale.) 358029498_1709176819534768_935623589611352353_n.jpg Yesterday.jpg Today.jpg

Last edited:
How is she doing?
How old is she?

Did you check to make sure her vent was not injured or damaged? I'm sure you did, but just to be sure the blood is not from picking/injury.

I'd continue with the Corid, you can also give her undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

If possible, see if you can get a sulfa drug to treat her if the Corid doesn't do the job.

She's a pretty girl! I hope she's doing better, let us know.

How is she doing?
How old is she?

Did you check to make sure her vent was not injured or damaged? I'm sure you did, but just to be sure the blood is not from picking/injury.

I'd continue with the Corid, you can also give her undiluted liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row. This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water.

If possible, see if you can get a sulfa drug to treat her if the Corid doesn't do the job.

She's a pretty girl! I hope she's doing better, let us know.
She is about 16-17 weeks old. Last night she went up the ramp to the coop and roosted without my help. I checked on her throughout the night and she stay roosted all night. She panted for much of the night, but this morning she has stopped panting. I'm hoping that means she's feeling a little better today than yesterday.

I still have not seen her eat or drink on her own since yesterday morning. I'll be syringing more water/corrid mix into her mouth today. She is shaking her head a lot (almost like she has a twitch) and almost obsessively non-stop preening her feathers. I wonder if she is itchy or dizzy. I think I'm going to go to tractor supply and get a mite/lice treatment just in case? I do not see bugs on any of my chickens and I do not see any in the coop - so I'm not sure it is bugs but I don't know why else she'd be obsessively grooming herself.

Still crossing my fingers and hoping she'll eat today and stop this strange twitching/grooming/picking her feathers behavior that is very out of character for her. I am so happy she made it through the night - there were times yesterday I was super worried it was my last day with her.

Oh! And her stool is much less bloody. Only a tiny bit of red in the coop this morning. The rest is runny white/green from her. Not healthy looking stool, but at least she isn't losing blood anymore.

Can you get a video of her actions?

Non stop preening and shaking of the head? Up load video to YouTube and provide a link.

I agree with you, I'd work on hydration.
The obsession with preening - look through her feathers again, check around her vent.
It may be worth giving her a light dusting of Permethrin based poultry dust just in case she has some type of bug(s) on her.

Look inside her ears to make sure there's no debris or bugs a well. The ear canal is shown in the image below - it should look like normal skin color, smooth and clean inside.

1688493051603.png

Photo

Back
Top Bottom