Blu-kote question

jdfog2

Songster
Feb 5, 2023
West Central Indiana
Hi all,

I goofed and used bluekote on two pullets (Buff Orps) about a month ago.
Both had badly broken skin on the backs of their necks from being aggressively treated by a Cockerel that turned into a rooster seemingly overnight.

So the girls are in two separate dog cages in my pole barn. I think they're ready to go back into the chicken tractor with the rest of their friends. However, I'm wondering if the others will peck them and re- injure them due to the blue (purple) on their necks?

I plan to reintegrate them by putting them in a cage in the chicken tractor for several days first.
Will that cause the other chickens to get used to their blue necks and not peck them after we let them loose into the general population?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

JD

Anything *different* is likely going to draw attention. I put some Hen Healer (which is a blue cream) on one of my gals bottom (she had some bare, raw skin) and as soon as I put her back with the flock, many of them pecked at the blue stuff. They didn't do it for long (I think it probably tasted bad), but they definitely showed interest and pecked even though it was blue. Just keep an eye on them!

Anything *different* is likely going to draw attention. I put some Hen Healer (which is a blue cream) on one of my gals bottom (she had some bare, raw skin) and as soon as I put her back with the flock, many of them pecked at the blue stuff. They didn't do it for long (I think it probably tasted bad), but they definitely showed interest and pecked even though it was blue. Just keep an eye on them!
Thank you for the response.
JD

Hi all,

I goofed and used bluekote on two pullets (Buff Orps) about a month ago.
Both had badly broken skin on the backs of their necks from being aggressively treated by a Cockerel that turned into a rooster seemingly overnight.

So the girls are in two separate dog cages in my pole barn. I think they're ready to go back into the chicken tractor with the rest of their friends. However, I'm wondering if the others will peck them and re- injure them due to the blue (purple) on their necks?

I plan to reintegrate them by putting them in a cage in the chicken tractor for several days first.
Will that cause the other chickens to get used to their blue necks and not peck them after we let them loose into the general population?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

JD
They have been separated away from the flock this whole time?
You'll want to do a slow re-introduction.

How big is the tractor and how many birds (pullets and cockerels) are in there?

They have been separated away from the flock this whole time?
You'll want to do a slow re-introduction.

How big is the tractor and how many birds (pullets and cockerels) are in there?
Yes. I plan to put the cages they are currently in inside the chicken tractor and keep them there several days. Worked well when I put some Barred Rocks in with our Bielefelders.

Tractors are 10 x 7 feet. There are 21 in one and 31 (smaller/younger) in one. The 2 girls will go back into the one with 21.
Moving 2 dozen to a Coop soon and the rest eventually to new homes. Roosters that I am not keeping will be processed for freezer. There's 11 total boys in tractors. One older (22 wks) Buff Orp and 5 young Barred Rocks in 21 tractor. Rest in other Tractor. They are all younger.

Processed 2 GL Wyandotte and one Buff Orp month ago @ 18 weeks

Back
Top Bottom