Blue chicken question

Hey there! I hatched this girl out around this time last year. She lays a light pink egg .. I’m pretty sure. Any ideas on breed mix she could be? She’s pretty shy so it’s not a great picture.
Do you know what color egg she hatched from?
Where did you get the eggs?

Not only austrolorps have blue varieties it could be but there are many MANY other breeds that have blue color
Definitely true.

She could just as easily be a mix of Blue Andalusian and Spangled Russian Orloff. Or Salmon Faverolles and Sapphire Gem. Or quite a few other mixes that would give the blue color and muff/beard on the face.

As regards all the people saying Easter Egger:
Since she does not lay blue or green eggs, and we have no proof of any kind of Easter Egger ancestry, I would not call her an Easter Egger.

I would just call her a barnyard mix, or a "brown egger" (since pink eggs are one shade of brown, as regards the genetics involved.)

If "Easter Egger" can mean any chicken, with any traits, and any egg color, then it is a word that does not tell us anything at all, which makes it useless.

Do you know what color egg she hatched from?
Where did you get the eggs?

Definitely true.

She could just as easily be a mix of Blue Andalusian and Spangled Russian Orloff. Or Salmon Faverolles and Sapphire Gem. Or quite a few other mixes that would give the blue color and muff/beard on the face.

As regards all the people saying Easter Egger:
Since she does not lay blue or green eggs, and we have no proof of any kind of Easter Egger ancestry, I would not call her an Easter Egger.

I would just call her a barnyard mix, or a "brown egger" (since pink eggs are one shade of brown, as regards the genetics involved.)

If "Easter Egger" can mean any chicken, with any traits, and any egg color, then it is a word that does not tell us anything at all, which makes it useless.
I agree other than if it lays green blue or pink and a mixed breed because there is a big difference in barred rock pink and Easter egger pink

I agree other than if it lays green blue or pink and a mixed breed because there is a big difference in barred rock pink and Easter egger pink
Blue and green require the blue egg gene. Pink does not. That makes a simple, genetic-based reason to draw the line there.

And I have never yet seen a hatchery selling any kind of Easter Egger that ONLY lays "pink" eggs. They always have the blue and green as the main, desired color (but they put the pink in the descriptions so they don't have customers complaining about the ones that do not lay blue or green. Much easier than testing every bird in their breeding flock to remove all the ones that carry the gene for not-blue eggshells.)

yes-wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom