Blue Minorcas or Blue Leghorns

dmanhefner

Chirping
Aug 25, 2015
This is going to be a genetics question for a project i have in mind.

I want a blue minorca chicken.

If i breed white Minorcas and Black Minorcas will i get blue? What about the same combination with leghorns? What if i breed either black minorcas to white leghorns or black leghorns to white minorcas? Will any of these combinations produce a blue bird?

If i breed white Minorcas and Black Minorcas will i get blue? What about the same combination with leghorns? What if i breed either black minorcas to white leghorns or black leghorns to white minorcas? Will any of these combinations produce a blue bird?
No. You will have to cross to a bird that carries blue, such as a blue Andalusian.

Be aware that blue does not breed true. One copy of the blue gene results in a blue bird. Two copies result in splash. No copies and the bird is black. This table may help.

black x black = 100% black
black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
black x splash = 100% blue

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash

splash x splash = 100% splash

If you want to try this I would suggest crossing a splash Andalusian with a black Minorca. All resulting chicks will be blue, and at least the comb type and egg color are the same for both breeds.

Interesting. Thank you for your advice and information. Perhaps i will take this approach.

I agree with keesmom. If I were doing that project, I'd put a splash Andalusian cock over black Mincora hens. All resulting chicks would be blue. I'd then probably take the best cock and put him back over the black Mincora hens. You'll get half blue and half black from that. You could breed your blues together at that point, if they're getting close to the Mincora type, or put another blue back over the black Mincoras. Each generation back to the desired breed will bring you closer to the breed type. You'll have to hatch a fair amount of chicks and cull well for type.

Back
Top Bottom