Blue scaled quail egg laying season?

sunshine ducky

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Illinois
Hey everyone, I picked up some adult blue scaled quails a few days back; and I was wondering is there a laying season for them? If so, does it start in the spring or summer? Thanks.

I have a friend that raises blue scaled quail and mountain quail. Your question depends on where you live, the climate, what they are fed, if they are being tricked with extra light and heat, and how old your birds are.

Based on where I live North of Salt Lake City, Utah, blue scale quail in captivity will start laying roughly in mid April and go through roughly July. Again that depends on the spring weather here in Utah. You can trick them by supplying a longer light in the day and warmer temps with heaters but I don't do this nor recommend it. I let mine lay when they are ready. Another factor is how old the birds are. The older the bird, the less they lay.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
Mine started laying 2 weeks ago here in NW Ohio. No light except what little comes from the heater that stays in the corner of the pen area and is turned on sporadicly. No idea why they started so early, but late March/ early April is closer to normal.

Back
Top Bottom