Bluekote

jjthink

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 17, 2007
New Jersey
Hi. Is bluekote the solution of choice when a comb is being pecked mercilessly? Bleeding, black damaged spots.. Or is there something better? Thanks very much.

Have never used bluekote before - is it important not to get near or in eyes if the stressed bird is wriggling when one attempts to apply to comb? JJ

Hi Judy..I replied on the other side...
I would probably try Pickstop or Bitter Apple. Spray it on a rag then put it on his comb. I'd worry that I'd get it in his eyes if I sprayed it right on BJ's comb. I used it when Obelisk pulled all of Slifer's butt feathers out.

Thank you SC! I'll see if I can find those things. I gather with those it's because the stuff tastes so awful that they will do it once and then hopefully refrain after that! I really appreciate your help - it is kind of amazing, but the feed stores in this region, while they sell tons of chicken food, know so little about chicken care. Likely I will need to order on line. Hoping all is well with you and your feathered friends. JJ

I haven't bought bluekot in years..... but the last time I did, it was available in spray form or in a bottle with a swab attached to the cover. You just unscrew the cover and the swab was coated with the stuff, then you could 'paint' in on wherever you needed.

Bluekot is MESSY.... It will stain anything it touches, so be careful!

smile.png

Sandy

For something as fine as using on a comb I would get the bottle stuff and use a Q-tip. The dabber they give you in a bottle of blu-kote is huge. Yes be careful to not get any of those products in the eyes.

Thank you SC, Sandy, April! I really appreciate your speedy response and that you took the time to help. I gather bitter apple doesn't sting a sore spot? I'll try to find one of these products and get him some relief, poor boy. He's a boy that refuses to hurt a girl, so he's in trouble with the bratty youngsters who keep lunging at his comb and I know from feeling their beaks on me that they pack quite a painful punch.
sad.png
JJ

I don't know where you live, but is it possible that the black bits are frostbite, or are they just scabs?

Also thought I'd say that chickens are attracted to peck at anything red, so staining the comb blue with blukote will hopefully help the problem even more
smile.png

Hi Helena! Thank you for writing. At first I thought it was frostbite - and one tip may be - but then I witnessed a lot of vicious pecking so now I know the majority of it is from the young hens, of all things.

Isn't it ironic that chickens are attracted to red and yet combs are red, thus making them vulnerable to attack. Not sure what evolution was thinking! I am hoping that with bluekote they will back off. Have never used it before and don't know how long it lasts but it sounds like it dyes things in a pretty determined way. JJ

Back
Top Bottom