Bonded male, not so bonded female...

Some have overbred their females, but the two pictured above haven't had any issues and are very sweet together. I bought the male when he was four months old and he had been previously living with about 10 hens. I put him with two females and he never overbred them. One of his females went broody and wanted nothing to do with him, and the other died a little while later. The female pictured above was a rescue given to me. I decided to put the two together, since the male was lonely, and they've been a great pair.

I never had any overbreeding issues with another well bonded pair I had. Eventually, the female died, so I put the male with a group of four females I had (who beat up the previous male I gave them). He bonded pretty well to all of them, but he definitely had a favourite. I had to move this group and introduce some more males (because of lack of space). Now the original male seems to of paired up with his favourite.

If keeping them together causes trouble, you should probably separate them.
The hen and roo get along very well. I just need to keep them away from other birds. Unfortunately I’m a bit short on space, so they may have to come indoors...

I put my best male with my snowies when they got old enough and he didn’t like them, probably because they were a new color, and he exclusively mated a Rosetta and tux lady I had added to the group. Eventually he started mating the others and all is well. The favorite is a bit overmated but is otherwise fine beside some baldness. He also sits on eggs and calls ladies to sit on them, but I take them all away so it doesn’t matter lol.

that being said, last year I had a dedicated pair form in my grow out and I didn’t notice because they were sex links and all the ladies were scarlet so they looked more or less the same. One day at about 7 weeks I found 2 birds alive but scalped. I removed them to recover and I watched the pen, the 2 had claimed the house and were both viciously attacking any bird that came near, not just running them off, but running them down and scalping them.

The hen and roo get along very well. I just need to keep them away from other birds. Unfortunately I’m a bit short on space, so they may have to come indoors...
I would keep them indoors as your pet birds. Just the two won’t take up a lot of space, you can keep a closer eye on them to make sure they’re alright and tbh your roo sounds like a dreamboat.

Back
Top Bottom