Boosting turkey feed protein

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey there! I currently own chickens and am loving the experience. Since we don’t have blackhead in our flock, I’m eager to not only expand our chicken count, but also add Turkeys next year.

One problem I’m running into is that there doesn’t seem to be any corn free feed in the market. Our chickens are corn and soy free, because my husband has an allergy. It’s a make or break difference in his egg consumption, and I’d assume it would be a benefit in meat quality as well.

I’m not opposed to mixing my own feed, or supplementing a chicken feed with more protein, but I’m unsure about proportions. I know black oil sunflower seeds and field peas are a good boost, but I’m not sure how much I would need to mix into our standard 25lb bags of 16% layer feed. Can anyone help with this info?

For reference: I’m looking into heritage breeds. Primarily royal palm or Bourbon red. So I’m going more for quality over size.
We don’t have pasture, but we have 20 acres of mountain forest with lots of wild plants and bushes. There are also tons(last year the big flock totaled 28!) of wild turkeys in our canyon, so I feel confident that our domesticated birds will be happy to forage and free range during the day.

Hey there! I currently own chickens and am loving the experience. Since we don’t have blackhead in our flock, I’m eager to not only expand our chicken count, but also add Turkeys next year.

One problem I’m running into is that there doesn’t seem to be any corn free feed in the market. Our chickens are corn and soy free, because my husband has an allergy. It’s a make or break difference in his egg consumption, and I’d assume it would be a benefit in meat quality as well.

I’m not opposed to mixing my own feed, or supplementing a chicken feed with more protein, but I’m unsure about proportions. I know black oil sunflower seeds and field peas are a good boost, but I’m not sure how much I would need to mix into our standard 25lb bags of 16% layer feed. Can anyone help with this info?

For reference: I’m looking into heritage breeds. Primarily royal palm or Bourbon red. So I’m going more for quality over size.
We don’t have pasture, but we have 20 acres of mountain forest with lots of wild plants and bushes. There are also tons(last year the big flock totaled 28!) of wild turkeys in our canyon, so I feel confident that our domesticated birds will be happy to forage and free range during the day.
You only need to do the higher protein feed (it isn't just about the protein) for the turkeys from the time they are on a proper starter (6 to 8 weeks) and through the grower stage (another 6 weeks). After that they can be on a good quality poultry feed.

You only need to do the higher protein feed (it isn't just about the protein) for the turkeys from the time they are on a proper starter (6 to 8 weeks) and through the grower stage (another 6 weeks). After that they can be on a good quality poultry feed.

What I’ve been seeing is that poults need around 30% protein in those first few weeks. The corn and soy free chick starter I use is 20%. Grower is 18%. I can’t find any game bird or turkey starter without corn or soy. How can I boost the protein in the feed I currently use?

What I’ve been seeing is that poults need around 30% protein in those first few weeks. The corn and soy free chick starter I use is 20%. Grower is 18%. I can’t find any game bird or turkey starter without corn or soy. How can I boost the protein in the feed I currently use?
Your current feed has a lot of other issues than just the protein content. The poults also require higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin along with the other B vitamins.

What I am suggesting is to use a proper turkey or game bird starter followed by a proper turkey or game bird grower. After that you can switch to your corn and soy free feed.

Another option is to buy your birds locally when they are already older.

Your current feed has a lot of other issues than just the protein content. The poults also require higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin along with the other B vitamins.

What I am suggesting is to use a proper turkey or game bird starter followed by a proper turkey or game bird grower. After that you can switch to your corn and soy free feed.

I agree. Your current feed does not contain the proper amount of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that young turkeys need.

O

Okie dokie. Thanks for all this information!

Back
Top Bottom