Border Collies and ducks

Katicorn

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
We’ve been raising border collies for 30 years, and are now going to introduce 4 ducklings to our pack. Our current BC is almost two and is pretty high drive. I’m hoping if he can be close by, watchful, and mentally involved with the ducklings, they/he will form a bond with them when they are old enough to share the yard. On our city walks he completely ignores ducks and geese in the big ponds. Many of our past BC’s lost their stuff when they saw ducks.😬

has anyone else introduced ducks into the collie world? I would appreciate some tips on a happy yard.😂

Our neighbors have border collies. They come over to visit regularly when I am out walking my ducks. They are the only dogs in our neighborhood that I don't chase away and call their owners.

I have known their dogs for years, and have done some mild training with them and play with them occasionally. When they get too close to my ducks I make my, "I'm displeased with you noise," that they already understood. When they sit calmly near my ducks I praise them and give them treats.

They may have been following the example of my dog, who is very polite, and trained to be respectful and watch over my ducks. But I also stay very aware when they are over and keep myself between them and my ducks. They don't stare intently at my ducks, but they don't always walk around them either - they are more likely to walk in the middle of the flock and scare them if I don't manage the situation.

These same neighbors got ducks a few years ago and told us that these same border collies almost chased their ducks to death. You may want to begin introductions on leash, and then off leash but separated by a barrier. Dog bites, and even fatal ones, are a recurring theme here.

Good point, border collies often learn by observing. in fact, we really haven’t to “train” them in the past few generation. They learn almost everything from the sweet dogs before them. I might try to find a local farmer who uses bc’s with live stock and have a visit,

Bordercollies have heard instincts and intelligence. Trained that ducks are their heard they can be protectors of the flock. Start with the leash or good voice control. Be consistent with discipline. Visiting someone with similar animals would be a great idea. Best of luck. We have a Borderjack.

We’ve been raising border collies for 30 years, and are now going to introduce 4 ducklings to our pack. Our current BC is almost two and is pretty high drive. I’m hoping if he can be close by, watchful, and mentally involved with the ducklings, they/he will form a bond with them when they are old enough to share the yard. On our city walks he completely ignores ducks and geese in the big ponds. Many of our past BC’s lost their stuff when they saw ducks.😬

has anyone else introduced ducks into the collie world? I would appreciate some tips on a happy yard.😂
As I'm sure you know, Border Collies are sweet, and incredibly smart dogs. I don't think they'd have a problem picking up good behavior from other dogs, such as, like you suggested, dogs at nearby farms. Training, however you choose to do it (praise-rewarded, treat-rewarded, on leash, off leash, etc), would also be beneficial with the Border Collie's desire to please.

Aussie and ducks
20201102_154311.jpg

I have three herding breed dogs. Two Belgian Tervuren and a border collie. The BC doesn’t really bother the ducks or chickens. He very rarely persues them, has a low herding drive. In fact he has only done it maybe twice in the three years I had ducks. He was never trained to pull on the herding drive.

now my youngest Tervuren has a much higher herding drive and even with no training has a high need to move and work ducks. She is three times as intense as my oldest Tervuren and night and day different from the BC. I think it will really matter how much herding drive is bred into the BCs. A friend has one where they don’t breed it in because they breed for agility in that line. But lines that are bred for it will not likely be able to share a yard with ducks without a barrier between them.

Back
Top Bottom