Bored quail

I have 4 cortinix quail and keep them in a 6 by 6ft pen i think they have more then eneogh room but they always seem bored and are pecking at the sides of the pen (which makes me feel like I'm bring cruel keeping them) they have a mud bath and have plenty of grass, they've got tunnels, hides and I often give treats, there don't like being handled but there really tame and don't flinch at ask when I come in they even walk over my feet. I thought it could be becuase they are stressed but I can't see what their being stressed by. I would appreciate some ideas of what to do (they don't do it all the time about once a day) do u think it's becuase of the cockeral
Another thing does anyone no how to make them like being handled?

Mine like pecking at things in other quails sections of the pen, they also destroyed all the leaves they could reach through the smaller

How old are they. Age will tell you if you can tame them.
I've had them since 3 days old. They used to be really tame but when they were a couple of months old we went on holiday for 4 weeks and they just stopped wanting cuddles, they are about to be 1 year old

I've had them since 3 days old. They used to be really tame but when they were a couple of months old we went on holiday for 4 weeks and they just stopped wanting cuddles, they are about to be 1 year old
I have had the same thing happen with chickens. I think they just kind of forget about me. I don't know how to tame older birds but I would just say handle them more and be around them a lot.

Another thing does anyone no how to make them like being handled?
They're birds. They are particularly delicious birds that everything likes to eat. You can get them to tolerate being handled, but in order to get them to like it, you'd pretty much have to have handled them every day from the time they were hatched.

In order to get them used to you, you have to spend a lot of time with them. I open the top of my pen and climb into it to collect eggs and feed mine and they don't even try to fly out. They come up and peck at my shoes. They aren't afraid of me, but they don't like being handled.

Back
Top Bottom