Brahma hen attacked back of neck

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
My sweet brahma was attacked by something today..she has a puncture wound on the back of her neck, and skin has been ripped away. She was walking slowly with difficulty and seems stunned. We washed the area with diluted chlorihexadine, and then dabbed with iodine. She ate some scrambled eggs and we have her on a towel under a heat lamp. Is there anything I can do to help her further? We have antibiotics at home if she needs some. I will attach pictures. Thank you for any help.
20230124_165259(1).jpg
20230124_165259.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124_183331_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_183331_Gallery.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 3
Next time you swab the wound with Chlorhexidine, trim some of the feathers away from the wound so they don't stick to ointment. Apply triple antibiotic ointment if you have it, this will help keep the wound moist.
Generally, a wound does not need to be covered or wrapped unless the bird is picking at the wound.

If she's a bit lethargic, then she may still be in shock. Provide her with a little warmed sugar water or electrolytes. Once she's drinking, introduce some of her normal feed, a little egg sprinkled over the top can be enticing.

Re-check her all over for any wounds hidden under her lovely feathers.

Thank you so much. I actually did put triple antibiotic ointment around it…forgot to mention that. I’ll put it directly on puncture wound tomorrow. And trim the feathers (if it doesn’t stress her too much). Right now she is resting in my daughters bathroom on a towel. We had a heat lamp above her but she started panting a bit, or just breathing with her mouth open so we turned off the lamp. I’ll check her for any other wounds tomorrow, and go to the store for electrolytes. She drank a little water.

Back
Top Bottom