Brahma roo too big for Australorp hen? (Full grown?)

Australorpfamily

Songster
Mar 26, 2023
Central Indiana
I'm going with the Yes, our Light Brahma roo will be too big for our Black Australorp girls, but curious on thoughts? Eta: full grown

It wasn't that we got a roo on purpose, we bought 5 pullets and ended up with a packing peanut roo. We've been doing an integration trial/see no touch as well as escape fence, and he is a fiesty little dude at 4ish weeks and has charged/attacked necks of our 5weekBA and our 9weekBA(who in turn out him in his place), then tried to do the same to his flatmates. He's in confinement, which is a fence away from the big girls, who I'm told are all currently laying next to him lol

The little dude is making me feel bad haha but a roo was not in our plans right away lol BUT!!! He does have a future go-to home with black giants( I think that's what my friend called them)

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm going with the Yes, our Light Brahma roo will be too big for our Black Australorp girls, but curious on thoughts? Eta: full grown
I disagree. When chickens mate the hen squats. This gets her body in contact with the ground so the rooster's weight goes directly into the ground through her body instead of just her legs. In most breeds the rooster is going to be heavier than the hens so this is nature's way of protecting the hen's legs and joints.

This assumes that your BA girls are full-sized fowl and not bantams. And that they are mature enough to act like mature chickens. Even if the cockerel is smaller than the pullets when they go through puberty mating can be pretty rough, it is possible one can get injured. The girls have a part to play in this too. While it is possible a chicken will never mature into behaving like a mature chicken that is so rare I would not worry about it.

The little dude is making me feel bad haha but a roo was not in our plans right away lol BUT!!! He does have a future go-to home with black giants( I think that's what my friend called them)
Sounds like Jersey Giants, he'd be a good fit with them sizewise.

Why do you want a rooster? How does he fit into your goals for having chickens? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is just a personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of those myself, but that is a choice, not a need. I generally recommend you keep as few boys as possible and still meet your goals. That is not because you are guaranteed problems with more roosters but the more you have the more likely you are to have problems. For many people the correct number of roosters is zero.

Puberty can be hard to get through with cockerels. That's when many cockerels literally lose their heads and wind up as dinner. Many people just can't put up with them. Yours is only 4 weeks old, a couple of months before puberty kicks in and he is already causing you heartache. He has a good place to go. I'd get him there as soon as reasonable so you don't grow more attached. That's not because he will hurt the girls but because he is already causing you problems and worries.

Back
Top Bottom