Brahmas Coloring Question for yall

HindeQuarters

In the Brooder
May 21, 2022
Ok y'all, I've been driving myself crazy 😂
I got 6 buff brahmas chicks, and one of them looks so much different than the others. And I don't mean in a roo vs pullet kinda way.
I'm just curious if anyone can help me understand a little bit more, since the more I Google about brahmas the more confused I seem to be 😂
Pictures of 2 of chicks (first is what most of the chicks look like, second is my "unique girl"). Then the parents of the chicks, and one I'm suspecting is the mom (penciled butt)
They only have one flock (with one rooster) so I know it isn't like another roo sired the"different chick". But obviously if the hen carries the extra pencil gene and daddy does, would that make this a partridge or laced buff? Obviously I'll know more when she's full grown, but just curious maybe someone else can shed some light.

***Of course the pullet with extra penciling has become my favorite because she's so different looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_185352.jpg
    IMG_20220523_185352.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220523_185616.jpg
    IMG_20220523_185616.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220520-011027.png
    Screenshot_20220520-011027.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • received_750789456106581.jpeg
    received_750789456106581.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I got 6 buff brahmas chicks, and one of them looks so much different than the others. And I don't mean in a roo vs pullet kinda way.
I'm just curious if anyone can help me understand a little bit more, since the more I Google about brahmas the more confused I seem to be 😂
Pictures of 2 of chicks (first is what most of the chicks look like, second is my "unique girl"). Then the parents of the chicks, and one I'm suspecting is the mom (penciled butt)
They only have one flock (with one rooster) so I know it isn't like another roo sired the"different chick". But obviously if the hen carries the extra pencil gene and daddy does, would that make this a partridge or laced buff? Obviously I'll know more when she's full grown, but just curious maybe someone else can shed some light.

***Of course the pullet with extra penciling has become my favorite because she's so different looking.

I love the partridge look of the pullet. Brahmas have been developed into so many different colors that I think most of them have recessive features that surprisingly crop up. Enjoy your beautiful girl.

Your chick is not partridge. It appears to have mossiness just like your hen. :) They're just pet-quality stock so defects can be pop up. It's just an undesirable trait in the breeding/showing world although it is pretty!
View attachment 3124704
Not my hen, just got pictures of three parents from who I purchased the chicks from.
Thank you so much for clarifying this for me 🙂
She has the "mossiness" from head to toe now, and I think it's absolutely gorgeous. Definitely makes her stand out that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom