Bread Identification Of "rare" chicks

pearley

Hatching
Feb 27, 2021
We got some new chicks for the first time in a while an there was a bin of unidentified "rare" chicks. I have had trouble identifying their breed. 2 of them are black with a white spot on their head, white underbelly, and yellow/ pink bill with feathered feet.
20210227_101731 (1).jpg
20210227_101735.jpg

The third one is dark brown with a yellow and white underbelly and spotting around the ears and neck, He does not have feathered feet
20210227_101652.jpg
20210227_101700.jpg

The last one is all yellow with yellow bill and a little brown mark on his head and feathered feet. (the brown mark is a little more pronounced than in the photo). I know this one with probably be harder to identify due to its lack of prominent features.
20210227_101808.jpg
20210227_101812.jpg

I am *not* any kind of an expert but my guess is you might have some mixed breed farm babies! The last one looks like a possible gold buff orpington ( or maybe an Isabel Orpington) mix, and the first one seems like it might be a black cuckoo Orpington. I'm not to sure about the middle chick! Again I am not a professional, I have just raised few batches of babies and those are my guesses! Hope it helps!💜

First two look like cuckoo marans, third one gold laced wyandotte or maybe barnevelder (looks to have a single comb), fourth one ?
Looks like the first two have pink feet, if so then cuckoo marans most likely. Can you show a photo of the fourth one standing up, side view? Could be a cochin, hard to tell. 😊

First two look like cuckoo marans, third one gold laced wyandotte or maybe barnevelder (looks to have a single comb), fourth one ?
Looks like the first two have pink feet, if so then cuckoo marans most likely. Can you show a photo of the fourth one standing up, side view? Could be a cochin, hard to tell. 😊
The experts are here✨🤩✨
Cuckoo Marans! I was close! 🤣

Last edited:
So assuming these birds are purebred, then this one is a cochin if it has a single comb, possibly brahma if it has a pea comb. I can not tell in the photo. 😊
Oh and after looking at pics of barnevelder chicks I think it is a mix of that and something else. The other yellow one is also probably a mix as the seller said that their was a chance. Thank you so much for the help in identifying them.

Agreed.
sure thing, this isn't the best pic but I hope it will doView attachment 2547645
My guess for this one is Light Brahma. Unless it has a single comb, in which case it’s a Cochin.

Oh and after looking at pics of barnevelder chicks I think it is a mix of that and something else. The other yellow one is also probably a mix as the seller said that their was a chance. Thank you so much for the help in identifying them.

We got some new chicks for the first time in a while an there was a bin of unidentified "rare" chicks.
Was this a bin in a store? Or some private individual selling them?

If the chicks were "rare" ones from a hatchery (sold to a store or to an individual), then they should all be purebreds of one kind or another.

If they were hatched from someone's own flock, each chick could be a mix of breeds, and figuring it out will be much more difficult, and we may never get it all figured out.

Back
Top Bottom