Breathing problems after dog attack? And questions about feather regrowth

floralace

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
I have a Brahma rooster, about a year and a half old, who was attacked by a dog about a week ago. He had several open wounds, one that tore his skin open enough that I could see the muscles underneath. Thankfully his wounds are healing very well (with daily cleaning and isolation in a hospital crate), and I put him on antibiotics because of the risk of infection from the dog’s mouth. He’s doing very well, eating, drinking, pooping normally, he can move around just fine, and he’s even crowing! Basically, he’s acting like his normal self. However, I’ve started to hear him make weird gurgling, grunting breathing noises. He doesn’t do it all the time, and he doesn’t seem to be struggling to breathe. He just does it sometimes, and particularly when I have to hold him tightly to clean his
wounds. Should I be concerned?

Also, he lost all the feathers on his right side from the wing down to his tail, and all his tail feathers. Once his wounds heal, should I wait to reintroduce him back for his flock until all the feathers have grown back? I’d worry about all that bare skin getting pecked at or scratched.

Thanks!

However, I’ve started to hear him make weird gurgling, grunting breathing noises. He doesn’t do it all the time, and he doesn’t seem to be struggling to breathe. He just does it sometimes, and particularly when I have to hold him tightly to clean his
wounds.
Then don't hold him tightly:)
If you need to, swaddle him in a towel to help control him.

Possibly you are pressing on his crop or restricting his air sacs in some way, but it would be worth checking to make sure his crop is emptying overnight and feel over his body to see if there's any air under the skin in the general location of the 9 air sacs on the body.

If you are worried that he would get pecked at, then it's best to wait until he's feathered and fit to rejoin the flock.

1662834922168.png

Then don't hold him tightly:)
If you need to, swaddle him in a towel to help control him.

Possibly you are pressing on his crop or restricting his air sacs in some way, but it would be worth checking to make sure his crop is emptying overnight and feel over his body to see if there's any air under the skin in the general location of the 9 air sacs on the body.

If you are worried that he would get pecked at, then it's best to wait until he's feathered and fit to rejoin the flock.

View attachment 3255186
Ok, I will try to be more gentle. Maybe it’s because I have to hold him down on his side to get to all the wounds to clean them, and that could be squishing him. However he does it sometimes when he’s just standing around, and his crop was empty when I checked it this morning. If there’s air under the skin, what should I do? That sounds serious.

If there's air under the skin, there's a rupture in an air sac. A lot of times the air will just reabsorb but sometimes it needs to be released from the skin with a sterile needle or drawn out with a syringe.

If he's gurgling while just standing, then I'd re-check that crop again. If you find no air bubble under the skin and the crop is emptying, then I'd consider trying antibiotic.

You gave antibiotics. How long ago was that - which one and how much?

If there's air under the skin, there's a rupture in an air sac. A lot of times the air will just reabsorb but sometimes it needs to be released from the skin with a sterile needle or drawn out with a syringe.

If he's gurgling while just standing, then I'd re-check that crop again. If you find no air bubble under the skin and the crop is emptying, then I'd consider trying antibiotic.

You gave antibiotics. How long ago was that - which one and how much?
I’ve been giving him penicillin, I started giving it to him last Tuesday and today’s his last day on it - the package said to give it for 5 days. I believe he’s had about a gram, it’s the kind that’s mixed in with his water and he’s been drinking well. PoultryDVM suggested penicillin for animal bites so that’s what I got. I will check his crop tonight before he goes to sleep to make sure it’s full and then again in the morning. Thank you very much for the advice!

I checked his crop last night and it was full, and this morning it was empty, so I don’t think that’s a problem thankfully. I couldn’t see or feel any unusual swelling or anything that looks like an air pocket, although I’m still relatively new with chickens so I might just not be looking properly.

I checked his crop last night and it was full, and this morning it was empty, so I don’t think that’s a problem thankfully. I couldn’t see or feel any unusual swelling or anything that looks like an air pocket, although I’m still relatively new with chickens so I might just not be looking properly.
It's good that his crop is emptying.

If you felt around on him, you would have noticed an air pocket under the skin.

Can you get a video of the noise he's making? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

He may have respiratory infection, hard to know. Penicillin can be helpful with wounds, but it's not quite the best for respiratory infection. Tylan50 is commonly used or if you are not going to eat him any time soon:D, then Baytril would be a good choice.

It's good that his crop is emptying.

If you felt around on him, you would have noticed an air pocket under the skin.

Can you get a video of the noise he's making? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

He may have respiratory infection, hard to know. Penicillin can be helpful with wounds, but it's not quite the best for respiratory infection. Tylan50 is commonly used or if you are not going to eat him any time soon:D, then Baytril would be a good choice.
I don’t know what was going on, but he’s not making that noise anymore! His breathing sounds perfectly normal now. His feathers are starting to grow back too, so he should be back with his hens soon.

Thank you very much, I’ll probably try to get a hold of some Tylan50 just in case.

I don’t know what was going on, but he’s not making that noise anymore! His breathing sounds perfectly normal now. His feathers are starting to grow back too, so he should be back with his hens soon.

Thank you very much, I’ll probably try to get a hold of some Tylan50 just in case.
I'm glad to hear he's doing better!:)

Back
Top Bottom