Breed and Gender Please (Priscilla) - Possibly RIR, Red Sex Link, or Plymouth Barred Rock Hen with a RIR or Blue Barred Rock Rooster

@NatJ thinking I might have a cuckoo marans as well- what do you think? His legs are much lighter and pinkish on the bottom. Front right in the first pic. I really can’t tell with the barring. 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• BF688F21-23ED-4EA9-9257-5768189C47C4.jpeg
    BF688F21-23ED-4EA9-9257-5768189C47C4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • C8300C49-328B-4ED2-BF6D-D4A0015D16A1.jpeg
    C8300C49-328B-4ED2-BF6D-D4A0015D16A1.jpeg
    721.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
@NatJ thinking I might have a cuckoo marans as well- what do you think? His legs are much lighter and pinkish on the bottom. Front right in the first pic. I really can’t tell with the barring. 🤷‍♀️
You might be right. Yes, Barred Rocks would have yellow feet and yours has white. The one with white feet might be a Cuckoo Maran, or might be from a cross of Cuckoo Marans with something else (I've seen hatcheries offering sex-linked chicks from crossing two varieties of Marans, or Olive Eggers from crossing Marans with a colored-egg layer.)

In the first photo, going by comb & wattle development, I see two males (the middle one and the right one). The one in the middle/back is overall lighter in color. It might just be individual variation, or it might mean that the lighter one has two copies of the barring gene (a male-only trait) with the darker one having one copy of the barring gene (found in females, and in males that are from a cross of barred with not-barred.)

You might be right. Yes, Barred Rocks would have yellow feet and yours has white. The one with white feet might be a Cuckoo Maran, or might be from a cross of Cuckoo Marans with something else (I've seen hatcheries offering sex-linked chicks from crossing two varieties of Marans, or Olive Eggers from crossing Marans with a colored-egg layer.)

In the first photo, going by comb & wattle development, I see two males (the middle one and the right one). The one in the middle/back is overall lighter in color. It might just be individual variation, or it might mean that the lighter one has two copies of the barring gene (a male-only trait) with the darker one having one copy of the barring gene (found in females, and in males that are from a cross of barred with not-barred.)
The one eating on far left- I believe is male but that is one I’m questioning at the moment for gender. Looks male except is the one that hasn’t reddened up yet. Giving it a week to see any changes. They are all much lighter than my other BR- which was sexed as a pullet.

The one eating on far left- I believe is male but that is one I’m questioning at the moment for gender. Looks male except is the one that hasn’t reddened up yet. Giving it a week to see any changes. They are all much lighter than my other BR- which was sexed as a pullet.
I didn't have an opinion on that one, since the head was out of sight ;)
Yes, being much lighter than a known female is a very good sign of being male in barred breeds.

Last edited:
I didn't have an opinion on that one, since the head was out of sight ;)
Yes, being much lighter than a know known female is a very good sign of being male in barred breeds.
This one has one of the ladies in it. Can see how much darker she is compared to the others.

Attachments

• FE269CE3-8197-43CB-B159-F6DEF5CB43C7.jpeg
    FE269CE3-8197-43CB-B159-F6DEF5CB43C7.jpeg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 090FCD54-D151-44FF-886B-43D4210C8801.jpeg
    090FCD54-D151-44FF-886B-43D4210C8801.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom