Breed check and gender guesses - 4 chicks

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Today I bought four more chicks. Yes, I am addicted, apparently! Anyway, the feed store had these all together with about 30 other chicks, in a bin with a sign reading: "Bantam Sale! Buy 3 - Get 1 Free!- Straight Run 3 weeks +." The young lady who assisted me in picking out what I'd like had to take a couple of 'em back to someone else more knowledgeable, who said both were roosters. Okay, don't want 'em. But she did NOT check on 3 of the 4 I bought, and which are in these pictures, because she seemed pretty darned sure on those.

They're supposed to be 2 white Amereacanas (yah, I know, they're EEs), a GLW, and a Black Jersey Giant. The Gal Who Knows identified the JG and said it was in the Bantam bin by mistake, but I could still have it as my "free" chick.

So, without further ado, here are the photos:

#1 - All four.
41679_july5chicks.jpg

#2 - All four - but look at the supposed GLW - see those feathered feet?? Do bantam GLWs have feathered feet? And is that comb at 3+ weeks of age an indication it's a roo?
41679_july5chicksincoop.jpg

#3 - Jersey Giant (LF) an bantam "GLW."
41679_july5-2darkchicks.jpg

#4 - "GLW" and 2 EEs - one is more "silver" than white.
41679_july5chicks-2light1dark.jpg

#5 - This is the LF Black Jersey Giant.
41679_july5chicks-drinking.jpg

So, if anybody would like to hazard some guesses this early about genders, and confirm or correct what the feed store gals said about the breeds, please have at it! Thanks in advance.

Maaaaan, I was afraid of that. I've just had such lousy luck with straight run bantam chicks.
barnie.gif

I have two Silver Sebright roos,
41679_2sebrightschochin.jpg

a bantam Buff Brahma roo,
41679_bantambuffbrahma.jpg

and now this gold laced cochin roo.

PLUS the main Man In Charge of The Flock, Carl the Magnificent. He was an accidental roo, having been "sexed" as a standard EE pullet, but he's really important to my flock.

Back
Top Bottom