Breed recommendations!

marktoo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
California's central valley
I presently have 4 Wyandottes, 2 GLW & SLW that are coming up on 2 years old. I've been thinking that perhaps next year or the following I would get a couple of chicks, bring them up to POL then cull my worst layers, ditto the following year. While I am reasonably happy with Wyandottes, I am thinking about other breeds, many reviews claim Wyandottes to be noisy. I'm looking for a good laying breed that is friendly, quiet, heat hearty and is not given to flying the coop as these are stealth chickens. I have plenty of time to think about it, a lot can happen between now & then. Just wanted some input as Wyandottes are the only ones I have any experience with. Thanks!

Given your criteria, I would suggest Black Australorps. They are relatively quiet (as chickens go) and extremely heat hardy. I've raised them where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more) and where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and in both climate extremes they came through like troopers. They can fly (as virtually all chickens can) but are not good flyers, and they are calm and gentle birds. My children, and now my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. And they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. I think you would be very happy with Australorps, but whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

I would recommend barred rocks. I currently have 6. Where I live in the summer it gets up to 105 F and in winter it gets around 32 F. I have never had one of them dye. They are reasonably quiet, and calm. They lay huge eggs and usually lay 5-6 eggs every week!

I would recommend barred rocks. I currently have 6. Where I live in the summer it gets up to 105 F and in winter it gets around 32 F. I have never had one of them dye. They are reasonably quiet, and calm. They lay huge eggs and usually lay 5-6 eggs every week!

With all respect, based on the summer temperatures in California's central valley (my reference to 117-118 F or more temps. in my previous post was in Corning, CA), I wouldn't go with Barred Rocks. There is a big difference between 105 F and 120 F. I had Barred Rocks in Corning and they really suffered in the summer heat; listless and panting with wings held out, and a big drop off in egg production. In those kind of temperatures, you need to go with a really heat resistant breed such as the Australorps or some of the Mediterranean Class breeds.

I just ordered ten black langshans and five blue ones, and ten white jersey giants from SandHill. They are supposed to be nice calm breeds, and good layers. The langshans they say are the Asiatic breed for hotter climates. The only down fall on them is they mature a lot slower than other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom