Breeding mottled houdan to silver laced cochen.

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
I was wondering what I would get if a bred a mottled houdan hen to a silver laced cochen rooster. Just wondering because I have them and they both look so pretty. I love the personalities of both breeds. So I was going to cross them... but I figured I would ask you all if you had any idea what I would get from that.

You should end up with birds that are mostly black with silver lacing-like color leakage. They should have beards and small crests, smaller than the Houdan's crest anyway. Some leg feathering, but less than the Cochin's leg feathering. They most likely will have combs that look like a single comb (like what the Cochin has) that's split down the middle. They should also have extra toes like the Houdan (some may only end up with an extra toe on one foot, the trait expresses kind of strangely in mixes sometimes) and whitish shanks. Mottling is recessive, so they will all carry the gene but not express it.

What would silver lacing leakage look like? Like will they have patches of lacing on a black background? Or will they have lacing all over but it will just be really hard to see? ( like a black cat with tabby strips that you can only see in the proper light ) does anyone have any pictures?
Thank you!

Basically like very messy lacing in patches, generally concentrated to the chest or shoulders. Most likely it'll be feathers that have poor edging (not enough black on the edge, in other words) or that are sort of 'muddied' by having fine splotches of black within the lacing.

Back
Top Bottom