Breeding Question

MamaHenMyers

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
So I hatched a gorgeous rooster this spring and now I'm on a quest to hatch some babies from him next spring but I'm wondering which base colored hens would give me the best chance of passing on some of his coloring or patterns? He is mix himself so specific breed to mix matters less to me than coloring I have every color hen imaginable.

Attachments

• 20230808_154720.jpg
    20230808_154720.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 23
So I hatched a gorgeous rooster this spring and now I'm on a quest to hatch some babies from him next spring but I'm wondering which base colored hens would give me the best chance of passing on some of his coloring or patterns? He is mix himself so specific breed to mix matters less to me than coloring I have every color hen imaginable.
Why don't you try all your colors and see once? I bet though if you do that twice, you won't get the same results. I doubt you'll ever get the same one as him but you might get prettier ones.

We have a mixed breed flock of 25 birds and we don't have 2 that look alike. With mixed breeds it is hard to predict what genes will come through, but we have gotten many beautiful birds.

Why don't you try all your colors and see once? I bet though if you do that twice, you won't get the same results. I doubt you'll ever get the same one as him but you might get prettier ones.
This is what I'm leaning towards doing thinking seperating him with a couple of my black Mystic Onyx, my sapphire splash who is dominant white and a few of my multiple colored EE and seeing what I get.

Back
Top Bottom