Breeding Red Pyle OEGB and white OEGB

Solid white in OEGBs is generally recessive white, isn't it? Which would mean only half would be leaky white if we're assuming that the male has one copy of dominant white, and the other half would be colored depending on what genes the female carries beneath her recessive white exterior.

I have also heard of red pyle being splash breasted red instead of black breasted red with dominant white. Wondering if that could possibly be why the male in the first post has such dark tail feathers. 🤔 I suspect above all else that he's not really red pyle but a mix of varieties, as he appears to have mottling on his colored feathers as well.
He is definitely a mix, sometimes when you cross a BBR to a white with black leakage you get a red pyle like bird with heavy black leakage. You can breed to another bbr or a better quality red plye to breed it out but that will take selective culling.

Solid white in OEGBs is generally recessive white, isn't it? Which would mean only half would be leaky white if we're assuming that the male has one copy of dominant white, and the other half would be colored depending on what genes the female carries beneath her recessive white exterior.

I have also heard of red pyle being splash breasted red instead of black breasted red with dominant white. Wondering if that could possibly be why the male in the first post has such dark tail feathers. 🤔 I suspect above all else that he's not really red pyle but a mix of varieties, as he appears to have mottling on his colored feathers as well.
I got 4 hens (3 of which are red breasted, and one solid white) and 2 Roos (which are almost identical) from the same breeder. Both Roos do have black in the tail feathers and some very small, slightly noticeable black markings on the chest.

Attachments

• 8E1C06F0-7E47-4234-B3CA-24A86CA5807D.jpeg
    8E1C06F0-7E47-4234-B3CA-24A86CA5807D.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 1
So, any chance of getting a BBR?? With this mix or with any of the red breasted hens (I do have one of them setting as well)? Thanks for the input!

He is definitely a mix, sometimes when you cross a BBR to a white with black leakage you get a red pyle like bird with heavy black leakage. You can breed to another bbr or a better quality red plye to breed it out but that will take selective culling.
So, another question would be, how would you get back to BBR?

Back
Top Bottom