Breeding rooster

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Do roosters calm down on their mating habits as they age?

I posted in another section about having a broody hen losing her entire clutch to rot. While discussing it with another we assume it has to do with heat. I also learned that roos only have to mate once a week for eggs to be fertile. But based on my ability at the moment to observe, it seems as if my of age male has significantly decreased his drive to mate. This past spring he was seemingly mating with all his girls(@ the time 12 now 11 due to a fox) daily. Now I rarely catch him in the act. Sometimes I see half hearted attempts but no successful mounts. Don't like the idea of using aggressive as he's not aggressive in any way. But his drive has seemingly decreased.

Anyone have any idea as to why? Could it be because we're creeping into the fall months? Generally in my area temps begin to drop mid to late September but don't generally fall below the 50s until mid to late November. But the daylight hours do steadily decrease.

As far as feed goes I did change feeds, but it is to my understanding that nutrena is a better brand overall than dumor from tsc. The birds seem to enjoy it and there is less waste so that's a huge plus.

In the end I'm trying to figure out why he doesn't act like a horny teenager...hell not even like a horny college student anymore.

Thanks all.

Hot weather, age, day light period all impact hormone levels and fertility. Hens can retain sperm from a mating far longer than a week. My guess is that your rooster may have reduced fertility but it is more likely that something else impacted the setting hen mentioned. Lack of viability in eggs generally does not cause them to rot while being incubated.

Hot weather, age, day light period all impact hormone levels and fertility. Hens can retain sperm from a mating far longer than a week. My guess is that your rooster may have reduced fertility but it is more likely that something else impacted the setting hen mentioned. Lack of viability in eggs generally does not cause them to rot while being incubated.
We did have a "heatwave" but in my opinion wasn't really much of one. As far as his age, he's just over a year old at this point now. He's been a good boy to his girls over this year. So it's perplexing to me because of his age. I'd get it if say he was a 4 or 5 year old. But he's a month maybe two over a year old.

it's perplexing to me because of his age. I'd get it if say he was a 4 or 5 year old. But he's a month maybe two over a year old.
Heck he's still a kid. It took me WAY past my college years to slow down. :old

Have you checked any of your eggs for the 'bullseye' development?

Heck he's still a kid. It took me WAY past my college years to slow down. :old

Have you checked any of your eggs for the 'bullseye' development?
Recently I checked one(intently) but couldn't find the blastodisc. Generally I'll check it before the egg gets used. I do out of habit look at them all, but it doesn't register weather they are or not as I'm opening eggs.😂 I think as I made copycat rattlesnake bites with fresh garden jalapeños I may have seen one that was fertile...one of these situations where I look but wasn't thinking of checking at that moment.

Also I agree on the slowing down. Lol I haven't slowed down...at least on purpose. Right nows different but it's Dr's orders on my wife's end being 8 months pregnant lol.

Back
Top Bottom