Breeds

Oh these were all in a tub marked "pullets" and the girl didn't even know that pullets means female.
If they are bantams, then they are almost certainly straight run.

Breeds will be much easier to figure out as they grow older. Many breeds look alike as chicks, but different as adults and even as half-grown chicks.

For the first chick, I'm having trouble thinking of any kind that looks like that as a chick. Maybe Easter Egger? (I tend to guess that when I don't know the breed, because Easter Eggers come in so many colors and are widely available. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.)

The tiny gray one: maybe an Old English Game Bantam? They are fairly common, and come in many different colors.

For the Cochin vs. Silkie one: you should be able to tell for sure once it gets some feathers. But even now, you can check for feathered feet (both), 5th toe (Silkie), skin color (black for Silkie, light for Cochin), and comb type (single for Cochin, something else for Silkie.)

The 3rd photo is the Cochin-or-Silkie chick, right? I'm thinking it might be blue or black, just based on the arrangement of dark and light down. Or maybe Partridge? It can be hard to tell when they are so young, and I think my computer screen sometimes shows colors oddly, so I could be completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom