Bresse farms miss leading sales tactics…

Sounds like you got lucky. We ordered 32 American Bresse. Two died in the first 24 hours. It's been about 10 days, and we've lost 6 more. One had a wildly deformed leg. Those that died failed to thrive, but now even the normal sized ones are becoming lethargic. Treating for coccidia with Corid in their water and medicated chick starter. We've never had issues with chicks dying once hatched. Very clearly these are sickly birds.

I spoke with Justin within 24 hours of receiving them (at that point 3 had died). He said he'd "credit" me for two birds (the two that died on the first day) when I re-order. I tried not to laugh. I wouldn't order from there again if it was the last place available.

Very disappointed.
FYI it seems he is really motivated to keep Google reviews positive so that maybe a vehicle for a better outcome.

Update: 6/17/23

The new chicks Bresse Farms sent look healthy and are growing well. Not sure yet how well they will meet breed standards but this shipment was way better than the first.

Does anything know how Bresse Farms got the Splash, Blue and Black Bresse here? Just curious if they actually imported lines besides Greenfires which are only white.

Update: 6/17/23

The new chicks Bresse Farms sent look healthy and are growing well. Not sure yet how well they will meet breed standards but this shipment was way better than the first.

Does anything know how Bresse Farms got the Splash, Blue and Black Bresse here? Just curious if they actually imported lines besides Greenfires which are only white.

Greenfire Farms imported the colored birds originally but they proved to be "leaky" and not breed true, showing silver and pattern leaking. So they sold them on and now Justin has them. There are now breeders working to clean up the colors into predictable solids and working on expressing the Silver/Birchen. There's also work being done in expressing the Grey pattern as well, but it'll be awhile on that one.

Greenfire Farms imported the colored birds originally but they proved to be "leaky" and not breed true, showing silver and pattern leaking. So they sold them on and now Justin has them. There are now breeders working to clean up the colors into predictable solids and working on expressing the Silver/Birchen. There's also work being done in expressing the Grey pattern as well, but it'll be awhile on that one.
Which breeders are working on cleaning these up? Did Greenfire sell them all to Justin, or to these other breeders too?

For the breeders working on cleaning these up, how much emphasis are they giving to retaining/improving the meat bird qualities of this breed?

Breese Farms has had a lot of issues, but folks have been quite happy with birds coming out of Breese Farm (as in FARM singular), located in Florida. Unfortunately, the farm in Florida is out for the season, said he's got to grow up more layers for his own use to meet exceeding demand, and to check back in the fall.

Which breeders are working on cleaning these up? Did Greenfire sell them all to Justin, or to these other breeders too?

For the breeders working on cleaning these up, how much emphasis are they giving to retaining/improving the meat bird qualities of this breed?
I'm not sure if they went through the auction they use down there or if it was a direct sale. The other breeders working on them got them through Justin. The folks working on them are in the variety FB groups and posting their progress there. Most of them eat through their culls to monitor the table traits and they're working on bringing the weight up to be similar to the Whites.

Breese Farms has had a lot of issues, but folks have been quite happy with birds coming out of Breese Farm (as in FARM singular), located in Florida. Unfortunately, the farm in Florida is out for the season, said he's got to grow up more layers for his own use to meet exceeding demand, and to check back in the fall.
Yes, Frank in Florida has great stock!

Thanks for the info. I got some awesome results mixing up the different lines I got from Justin. Now that I know they came from true stock I will breed to clean them up. I was especially getting some feathers on the feet and yellow legs but some with correct legs too. I’ll work on it as a project here - and get tasty culls in the process 🙂.

Back
Top Bottom