Brewing Beer and Feeding Chickens

BellevueOmlet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
I just got into All-Grain beer brewing. I love the beer and my chickens love the grains. I cook about 10 lbs of barley or buckwheat and feed the spent grain to the chickens. They get excited because it is a nice soft grain after it has cooked. The only concern I have is that since it has been cooked for so long to extract the sugar that it also does not have much nutrition and is just a filler that I am giving them. Does anybody know if this is true? I usually plop the whole 10 lbs in their "fun/treat" trough but am thinking I should space it out more so they get the nutrition they need. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The spent grains likely have less nutrients than unboiled grain, so I'd use them more as a "treat" than a "feed replacement", but you're right, they do love the leftovers from beer brewing.

To store them for longer than a day or two, you can either dry them or freeze them, both seem to work pretty well for longer-term storage.

Thanks. I have been using them as a treat which is pretty exciting since they get less treats in the winter. In summer, they will probably kick them out of the way and ask for watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom