Brinsea Ecoglo

kadylady

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2021
This is my first time using the Ecoglo. When I plugged it in to test it, the heat panel is uncomfortably warm/hot. It doesn't burn the flesh, but I thought the chicks were supposed to be able to touch up against it. Is this normal? I don't want to burn them.
Thanks

I used the eco glow heat pad for my last two batches of chicks, I switched out from the heat lamp, and my chicks loved it. It was a little warm to my fingers when I touched it to move it. To the point that I had to touch the yellow plastic and not the metal plate. So I think it’s normal. None of my chicks ever got burned.

I used the eco glow heat pad for my last two batches of chicks, I switched out from the heat lamp, and my chicks loved it. It was a little warm to my fingers when I touched it to move it. To the point that I had to touch the yellow plastic and not the metal plate. So I think it’s normal. None of my chicks ever got burned.
Thank you so much! Should I keep it really low when I first get the chicks?

I don't use the Brinsea Ecoglo but I use other heating plates for my chicks. I always make one side a wee bit lower than the other. Chicks can decite if they want more heat or not that way.
But yes, mine also feel rather warm to the touch and I guess that is the point... a hen would provide a lot of heat too.

We used the Brinsea Ecoglow with our last batch of chicks this summer because the bulbs for the heat lamp we'd used before are no longer sold. It felt warm to the touch, but not terribly so. We had different sized breeds, so, like others, angled one side a bit higher. Many of the chicks liked sitting on the top of it, so there must be some ambient heat that comes up, too.

I think that since yours feels a bit uncomfortably hot, I would contact Brinsea to see if this is normal or if they'd send you a new one.

Back
Top Bottom