Broken beak tip

Canidae

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
SE Ohio
Yesterday I noticed one of my hens had broken the tip of her beak. I'm not sure when it happened but it couldn't have been longer than a day or two before I noticed. It's not as bad as some beak injuries I've seen, it's just the tip- almost like it was clipped with nail clippers or something. I'm wondering if she caught it on something. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and have been applying neosporin. I can still tell it's causing her a lot of pain however. She's drinking but not eating, quiet, lethargic, and a little puffed up. I've been trying to give her soft, warm food but she isn't interested. What can I do to relieve her pain?

Do you have a picture of the beak? Yes, those injuries can be very painful for a couple of days. Feeding some mushy wet chicken feed, soft scrambled egg may tempt her to eat. As long as she is drinking, she should eat soon.

Hi.

Post pictures, please...!

For what it's worth...
If she was my hen and I was not allergic to Essential Oils, I would choose to use Peppermint Essential Oil to try to relieve her pain.

I would just dilute a bit of Peppermint Essential Oil with at least as much of Olive Oil in water, and put the mix directly on her wound. Not too much above, since I would want to keep Essential Oils very far from her eyes...!

...After what I would feed her (at least) some wet cat food mixed with a bit of honey, curcumin, and thyme.

Good luck!

I haven't been able to find the time to take pictures today, I will try to tomorrow! I've given her a low dose of aspirin. ~40mg crushed up in yoghurt

Your vet could be of help with pain management if needed, but in a mild beak injury, the pain might not last too long hopefully. They can use meloxicam or something like Rimadyl for pain.

Last edited:
It's not as bad as some beak injuries I've seen, it's just the tip- almost like it was clipped with nail clippers or something.

I haven't been able to find the time to take pictures today, I will try to tomorrow! I've given her a low dose of aspirin. ~40mg crushed up in yoghurt
If it's just the tip of the beak, then it shouldn't be too sensitive after a day or two.

Often they will eat better if given a wet mash for a few days. A minor break generally doesn't require pain medications at all, but the aspirin for a day or two should be sufficient. If you wish to give something else, seek vet care as suggested and have the vet prescribe something stronger than aspirin.

Sorry about the super late response. I gave her aspirin for a few days and she's eating just fine now. Here's pictures from today. Should the tip regrow?

Attachments

• 20231217_171218.jpg
    20231217_171218.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231217_171311.jpg
    20231217_171311.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom