Broken EE?

RobinS1217

Songster
Aug 7, 2022
Eastern TN
Hoping for input!
We hatched out some of our eggs under a broody hen in April. One of the chicks became our beautiful EE, Hopper, born on easter morning! She has been laying green eggs, good sized, decent hardness of shell about 4 a week for 2 months. Our temperatures dropped this week and I’m taking appropriate measures but we haven’t gotten an egg from her in over a week. we have 37 chickens total (1 rooster) and ample run and coop space with anywhere from 2-5 hours or free backyard time a day. They’re fed Dumour organic crumbles 6lbs a day between 2 feeders plus sunflower seeds and mealworms totaling 1/2lb a day scattered in their run to encourage foraging. 2 separate waterers totaling 10 gallons that don’t go empty. She’s not the top bird but also doesn’t seemed pushed around like a few of them. Her behavior and habits seem usual.This is her first winter. She is not molting. I don’t know what else could be causing the sudden and severe drop in her production? Any advice welcome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Hi! This is normal. Two of my OE aren't laying. She'll be back to laying around late December.
I expected it from my older birds. In my 3 humble years I’ve noted they lay through their first winter as normal. However, for this bird that isn’t the case! I have been hatching with this timeline in mind with the agenda to always have 1/3 - 1/2 hatching. I’ll have to count her out I suppose! At least she’s a nice companion.

I expected it from my older birds. In my 3 humble years I’ve noted they lay through their first winter as normal. However, for this bird that isn’t the case! I have been hatching with this timeline in mind with the agenda to always have 1/3 - 1/2 hatching. I’ll have to count her out I suppose! At least she’s a nice companion.
She can surprise you! My older ladies are laying better then my younger ones this fall.

Back
Top Bottom