Broken feathers

campchocolate

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
New England
Hello! I've read older posts on broken feathers and thought I would add my an updated post with my observations and experience. I live in New England and the past few seasons, starting in the late spring, I have noticed my girls with broken feathers just before the downy part starts. Initially, a couple of seasons ago, I thought- Great! We have mites!😖 I went through all the hens and inspected thoroughly during the day, dusk and at dark. Nothing noted. I thought maybe I was missing something so I meticulously bathed the girls early in the day so they could dry out, cleaned the coop and let it thoroughly air out, dusted every thing with permethrin and diatomaceous earth. I kept up on the permethrin and DE as suggested from multiple sources and despite all the work, nothing improved. My coop is generously big enough for 9 hens, and they free range on average every other day. They also have free calcium available at all times. When the Fall came everyone molted and looked like a typical chicken with all their feathers from the Fall all the way through to the Spring. As the Summer began and the heat started up the usual suspects from the previous season started back up with feather breakage! Based on the past few season my best conclusion is heat stress. All birds are New England hardy. Everyone gets along ( I have spent a lot of time observing for bullies or dominance). It's only a few birds this happens to from year to year. I hope this post is helpful and reassuring to many.

I’m thinking more along the lines of it being hot, some become stressed and preen more often causing the feather breakage. It would be cooler having the less dense feathers on top of the downy under coat. The free calcium should take care of brittle feather shafts. The feathers I am finding in the coop are not brittle.

I’m thinking more along the lines of it being hot, some become stressed and preen more often causing the feather breakage. It would be cooler having the less dense feathers on top of the downy under coat. The free calcium should take care of brittle feather shafts. The feathers I am finding in the coop are not brittle.
So it appears that they are plucking their own outer feathers?
Got pics?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1594478524799.png

No, I kind of agree with Campchocolate, I don't see feather picking. I don't think it is so much heat though, I think it is age of the feather. Which are getting old, in the heat of the summer. I think it is a genetic thing. There is a long term poster on here, that never hatched the eggs of the bare back chickens, and eventually she lost bare back chickens.

What I have noticed, is it bothers people more than it bothers chickens.

Mrs K

As mentioned, I’m in New England. I agree the cycle is related to climate- hot & humid, and early Summer until the molt in the Fall. They are not pulling their feathers out. They are breaking them at the shaft just above the where the downy feathers start. The feathers I am finding on the ground are V shaped. The hens feathers are intact from the time they molt in the Fall until the first stretch of high heat. None of them go bald.

I agree with Mrs K, it bothers us more than it bothers them.

Back
Top Bottom