Broken leg, another problem

Rocky Top Chick

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
North Carolina
I have an EE that has a broken leg and we set the leg about a week ago and everything looked great until Saturday. She did have some swelling in her foot, but we decided that it was from the broken leg. On Saturday I let her out of the cage so that she could stretch her wings and preen and noticed that she was picking at her foot. Upon closer inspection, I noted that she had a loose piece of skin on her foot, and on further evaluation she had what seemed to be blisters on her foot between her toes and on the heel of her foot. I decided to lance the blisters because she had already taken care of one of them. I was able to get clear liquid out of each blister, no color and no smell. I then coated her foot with triple antibiotic cream and wrapped the foot loosly. It immediately took the swelling down. Does anyone have any idea what this was and what caused the foot to swell and blister. Otherwise she is doing very well, being somewhat a picky eater, but if I top everything with applesauce she will eat. Thanks for any information. I do not have pictures of the blisters and now everything looks rather normal.

Thanks for the bump. I actually work in medicine and just asked one of our physicians if I was doing the right thing and he said yes. I am going to soak her foot tonight and then apply more ointment and put some type of covering so that it can breathe. Apparently my DH put the splint on too tight to begin with and that is why the foot is swelling. All if good, but thanks so much for the bump. I feel like I am a thread killer !

Sounds to me like you are doing everything right and have a good grasp on things. Good luck and I hope she heals quickly!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom