Broken Turkey nail, how long will it take to heal?

Dec 3, 2023
Hello everyone,

I come with some questions regarding a turkey foot injury. One of my 11-month-old male BBW turkeys was walking last night and caught his toe on the chain link fence door that surrounds their coop. My brother was the one who saw it, but after seeing him walk around after it happened, I did not think anything of it. This morning however, I went to let the turkeys out and noticed that his nail had some dried blood around it, and the nail is cracked right at the base. The crack appears to end right at the middle of the radius of the nail diameter. It also was bubbling slightly. I'm not sure if the bubbling is a sign of infection ( infection couldn't set in the span of hours can it? they have a clean bedding area as well), but I think the nail is causing the bubbling to happen due to it moving every time he walks, but it still concerns me. He does not appear to be limping at all, but I'm sure it is uncomfortable! I know how drastic feet injuires can be to a turkey, especially a BBW turkey.
I sprayed blu-kot all over the broken nail, and will continue with that daily. Any other suggestions on what to do to promote healing? Is there any special glue I can apply to the cracked nail? I saw that soaking in Epsom salt may help as well. Also, how long will this take to heal? If the nail completely breaks off, it shouldn't affect how he walks, should it?
I just would like some 2nd opinions from other turkey owners. This turkey is a pet, and he is loved very very much!

Thank you!
Attached is a picture of the injured toenail.

IMG_20240313_133441773_HDR.jpg

Broken or partially broken or injured toenails can be very painful. If they are just dangling by a bit of tissue, it can help to snip it off. But this one just looks bloody and may still be attached well. I would just dab on some Vetericyn, Betadine, or Chlorhexidene. It will take a couple of weeks for it not to be painful. Chickens and turkeys do fine if they lose a toenail.

Broken or partially broken or injured toenails can be very painful. If they are just dangling by a bit of tissue, it can help to snip it off. But this one just looks bloody and may still be attached well. I would just dab on some Vetericyn, Betadine, or Chlorhexidene. It will take a couple of weeks for it not to be painful. Chickens and turkeys do fine if they lose a toenail.
Thank you for your comment! Yeah, his nail fell completely off, it looks so strange to see a stub there now, instead of his little dinosaur toe. He is walking all right, doesn't appear to be slowing him down any, especially when food is poured into their bowls! I have been spraying blu koat on it every few hours, hoping for a quick recovery for him. Nothing is leaking from the area too, so yay!!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom