broken wing, should I put her back in the coop? about 7 year old chicken

islandfarmer9

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2023
I found my chicken on the coop floor the other day and she was unable to move her wing at all. I wrapped it and stabilized it and she seems to be doing fine- eating, pooping, and drinking normal- but I have her inside for right now because I didn't want her to try to fly in the coop with the rest. Should I keep her inside for the 2 weeks? I dont want her to get acclimated since it's getting pretty cold out there. advice please! also is there anything I should look out for or will wrapping and waiting do the trick?

I wrapped it with some gauze - and no, no cage. Do you think she won't be able to handle herself?
IMG_2169.jpeg

How long has she been inside with you? It is hard to know how they will react to her, with the wrap on her, or from being gone for a bit. If you let her back with them, be cautious, and spend time with them. I would let her have supervised visits while I was there, and let her be inside a dog crate when I was not there. You will get a feel for how they will treat her during the supervised visits.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I would put her in a private area in the coop, so she can see her flock mates and they can see her. I would be More concerned with the others being curious and picking at her bandage or her, than I would them forgetting her. Chickens can remember faces (chicken and human) for 1 year. That doesn't mean you won't have pecking order issues when she is healed and back with the flock. Take good care of her, make sure she is healed before you release her back with your flock.

Last year we had a hen inside for the better part of 3 months due to a possum attack and she did fine reintegrating into the flock. She runs with her flock like nothing ever happened.

Good luck with your pretty girl! :hugs

I kept a hen inside my coop in a basket for 5 weeks, while she could not balance to walk. After the 5 weeks, even though no one bothered her in her basket on the floor, she rose up and walked around and then out of the coop. They immediately all went after her, and she had to be separated on the other side of the chicken fence. We tried daily to let her be with the others, but the same thing happened. About 6 months later, they finally tolerated her being in their coop and yard. Every situation is different. Some broodies are pecked after a 7 day absence in the broody pen. Some chickens will be accepted after an absence, but for me, I try to leave them inside the coop, to stand and walk around in a wire dog crate.

I wrapped it with some gauze - and no, no cage. Do you think she won't be able to being 7!

I wrapped it with some gauze - and no, no cage. Do you think she won't be able to handle herself? View attachment 3702641
She is beautiful! I actually have nothing to add to the great advice you have been receiving...Since I am a pianist and piano teacher by trade, I couldn't help notice that she is under a grand piano! Perhaps she will take up playing once she is better! 😄 Is that piano a Mason & Hamlin?

Back
Top Bottom