Brooder bedding foot issues

I HAVE found the one causing most of the trouble, it's literally just going up to chick after chick and pecking their back, doesn't seem to be any reason for it but it's scaring the others to death. I've tried "pecking" it and removing it but there's no apparent change in behavior. I've not ever noticed this chick causing trouble before, I don't have anywhere to separate it for long periods until the second brooder plate arrives tomorrow. It's so irritating how they take turns picking on each other, I'm guessing this may be them establishing a pecking order but I'm not sure as it has not had anything to do with food etc.

Last edited:
That sounds like overcrowding behaviour. It's a bit early for them to feel crowded in the area you have, but there aren't any cut and dried rules.
That's encouraging, I keep thinking as I get them a bigger space that it will work for a while and a few days later they seem to have outgrown it again! I will try tomorrow to put this one in whichever brooder is the least crowded. I figured I could put it in the incubator for a while (with food and water) to give the others a break. It's not happy alone in there but the squeaks from the brooder have stopped at least.

One question I have is, if I split them up into two brooders tomorrow, should I continually mix up who ends up in which one or should I keep them in two separate groups?

That's encouraging, I keep thinking as I get them a bigger space that it will work for a while and a few days later they seem to have outgrown it again! I will try tomorrow to put this one in whichever brooder is the least crowded. I figured I could put it in the incubator for a while (with food and water) to give the others a break. It's not happy alone in there but the squeaks from the brooder have stopped at least.

One question I have is, if I split them up into two brooders tomorrow, should I continually mix up who ends up in which one or should I keep them in two separate groups?
It depends on what your plans are for them. I usually keep my chicks mixed up when they're in separate brooders so they're more likely to get along when I move them outside into a large grow out pen.

When I have 2 groups that were split from one, I put all chicks in one brooder and clean the other, then I put all chicks in the clean brooder and clean out the other one. When I’m done I catch a random half and put them in the other clean brooder, so they get scrambled every few days.

That sounds like overcrowding behaviour. It's a bit early for them to feel crowded in the area you have, but there aren't any cut and dried rules.
So, today I got a second brooder all set up (another 5-6sq ft) and put 7 chicks in the new one with the problem chick, (9 in the old one) so they had tons of room. It made no difference, that chick just literally is constantly pecking/pulling feathers from the back of the others. That brooder was full of terrified chicks running around panicked. I watch and it literally just goes from one to another pecking their backs and pulling their feathers, every 20 seconds maybe it goes for another one. I have tried separating it MANY times at this point, keeping it in the incubator by itself, nothing is helping it's just got a screw loose or something 🤷🏻‍♀️. What else can I do? I don't know if it's a hen or not (I think it's a Rosetta, my only one), I'd hate to lose it and I don't know if this is normal and will pass or not, they are about 11 days old.

They have plenty of water, food, sand baths, heaters (now with plenty of space), grit, today I offered them some soldier fly larvae which none of them appear to be remotely interested in. The feed is Modesto Mills game bird starter (28% protein I believe). I am at a loss, this chick is a piece of work. Everyone else seems to get along reasonably well with the occasional peck but nothing super noticeable. But whoever is with this crazy chick is freaking out and squeaking in pain.

If it's just one, I'd consider keeping him separate until he's big enough to eat, then cull him. Keep him where he can see and hear the other birds. I don't keep ones that are aggressive like that.

What else can I do?
Can you separate one brooder down the middle with wire mesh?
Then you could put that chick on one side, and several chicks on the other side, and see if it settles down over a few days of see-no-touch.

Of course, you would have to divide the brooder in a way that provides warmth, food, and water for the birds in each side.

The only other thing I can think of is culling it, but I don't think that's the kind of idea you're looking for right now ;)

So, today I got a second brooder all set up (another 5-6sq ft) and put 7 chicks in the new one with the problem chick, (9 in the old one) so they had tons of room. It made no difference, that chick just literally is constantly pecking/pulling feathers from the back of the others. That brooder was full of terrified chicks running around panicked. I watch and it literally just goes from one to another pecking their backs and pulling their feathers, every 20 seconds maybe it goes for another one. I have tried separating it MANY times at this point, keeping it in the incubator by itself, nothing is helping it's just got a screw loose or something 🤷🏻‍♀️. What else can I do? I don't know if it's a hen or not (I think it's a Rosetta, my only one), I'd hate to lose it and I don't know if this is normal and will pass or not, they are about 11 days old.

They have plenty of water, food, sand baths, heaters (now with plenty of space), grit, today I offered them some soldier fly larvae which none of them appear to be remotely interested in. The feed is Modesto Mills game bird starter (28% protein I believe). I am at a loss, this chick is a piece of work. Everyone else seems to get along reasonably well with the occasional peck but nothing super noticeable. But whoever is with this crazy chick is freaking out and squeaking in pain.
I know this will sound crazy, but sometimes if the brooder is too warm, I’ve observed chicks pulling feathers from the mid to lower back of others. Try moving your heat source a bit further and see if it helps.

I know this will sound crazy, but sometimes if the brooder is too warm, I’ve observed chicks pulling feathers from the mid to lower back of others. Try moving your heat source a bit further and see if it helps.
Their heat sources are both brooder plates, they can leave them whenever they like, do you think this could still be causing it?

I tried twice putting the chick back, immediately it begins again. I noticed several other chicks have actual bald spots in the middle of their backs now. I am hoping it was just that one dreadful one and that no one else is doing it now. The problem chick is alone in the incubator as we think of how to handle it, I don't think it will be rejoining the others.

I hear the occasional squeal from the brooders and see an occasional peck but nothing too bad so far.

Back
Top Bottom