Brooder question… what’s best?

Mariosmom

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
Hi everyone!

I have 3 sixteen day old silkie chicks and I’m wondering about how to best set their brooder. I just introduced pine shavings on one side of the brooder about 2 days ago. They have been pecking at/eating some/ playing capture the flag with the shavings. They have also been playing with and eating some of the dried poop in the shavings….Is this normal? They haven’t been eating poop up till this point.

Half of the brooder is still paper towels with their food and water but they keep kicking shavings into all that. Do y’all have any recommendations and should I switch to all shavings and maybe get some chick grit to help with the digestion? They eat their starter feed really well so at least they have some balance, haha.

Thanks so much! Attached photo just for fun! 😀

Attachments

• BCD15270-966E-444E-92A0-03927F230DC4.jpeg
    BCD15270-966E-444E-92A0-03927F230DC4.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 25
Your chicks are so cute!
I don't use pine shavings for my brooder bedding, I use pellets. These are heavier and the chicks can't pick them up or eat them, and poop is harder to distinguish from them. If available, I get the odor absorbing kind.
I always use chick grit until the chickies are outside and they can get their own minerals by foraging in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom