Brooder to Coop - NC

stardustbb

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2019
First time chicken mama here! My four little ladies are a month old today, and are outgrowing their bathtub brooder FAST. The coop they'll be moving into is not heated, so I was wondering when I could move them out. I know it depends on feathering/temperatures. At this point, they are almost feathered out, except for their heads. Lows are routinely in the lower 60s for where we live in NC right now, but sometimes dip into the high 50s. During the day, it's typically in the lower 80s.
I know that without a heat source, they probably aren't ready to fully move out, but is leaving them in the coop/run space okay during the day?

First time chicken mama here! My four little ladies are a month old today, and are outgrowing their bathtub brooder FAST. The coop they'll be moving into is not heated, so I was wondering when I could move them out. I know it depends on feathering/temperatures. At this point, they are almost feathered out, except for their heads. Lows are routinely in the lower 60s for where we live in NC right now, but sometimes dip into the high 50s. During the day, it's typically in the lower 80s.
I know that without a heat source, they probably aren't ready to fully move out, but is leaving them in the coop/run space okay during the day?
How old are they?
If you make them a huddle box with deep bedding in it, they will huddle up in there at night and likely be just fine. Make sure it is protected from drafts.

Four weeks today!
They're old enough if you give them a huddle box. Find a box that is big enough for all of them to fit in if it is laying on it's side. Tuck it into a draft free corner of your coop, pile bedding in and on it. You can even drape some fabric to kind of make curtains on either side.
Mine would huddle in a nest box. Then they got too big to all huddle in one and they overflowed into two of them.

Back
Top Bottom