Brooding confused about about what to do

amadsen09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
i have one hen that has been sitting in the nesting box for one day so far, is there anything i need to do while she is brooding or after the egg hatches she is in a coop with 4 other hens and a rooster this is my first time with a hen that is acting like she is brooding when you open the nesting box she gets a puffy and makes different noises that she usually doesn't make and she try peck and you when you grab the other eggs from different nesting boxes
PLEASE help with any advice or options.
thank you

Sounds like a broody girl, you can put fertile eggs under her, or not. There are lots of info on breaking a broody. If you want to let her hatch eggs, you will need a nest box low to the ground so babies do not fall out, and if it's the nest everyone lays in, take her out in a few days and put her in a make shift nest ( dog carrier etc.) so she can have privacy and sit on the eggs.
I have my broody in a rabbit hutch on my front porch, put a box in side and she is very happy. I ale her out every day to poop and eat and drink. When they hatch you will need to have a save place for mom and babies with out having the other big birds harm them.

I have the same problem with one of my silkies. She has not left the nesting box for two days except when I take her out. I am worried about her and I am not sure if I need to do anything else!!!

i don't even know if she is laying on an egg or not she wont let me get close enough to check if she is laying on an egg can i move the egg into an incubator so i don't have to move her I'm worried about having a brooding hen in the coop cause i have issues with the other hens pecking to the point that one hen is bald on her bad and my rooster is being pecked some much that he is bleeding

If you don't want her to hatch eggs just reach under her and grab any eggs that may be there. Even if you want to hatch them, you will need to mark the start date on the eggs`so you know when to expect them to hatch. You can pick her up and remove her from the nest to get the eggs--she may peck you but it's not that bad. She will get off the next periodically to eat, drink, and relieve herself, so you don't need to worry about her. As someone wrote above there are many threads on breaking a broody.

Back
Top Bottom