broody behavior overboard

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
More than a month ago my speckled sussex went broody. We broke down and bought her two chicks after a few weeks. They are hanging out in a crate in an outbuilding. I'm waiting for a small portable coop I've ordered for them to reintegrate with the flock.

In the meantime, as soon as we removed the first broody hen, the black copper marans took over and went fully broody. She is miserable looking at this point. I have no where to put her separately, I keep hoping she will give up.

Tonight, one of the barnevelders looks like she's going broody. What the heck? I feel like it's contagious :( We already have a coop of 10 chicks at 6 and 8 weeks, as well as another group of 6 chicks at 3 weeks. No more babies needed, we are over-run. Are these hens reacting to the older chicks somehow? The barnevelder has spent a ton of time hanging out next to their run and talking to them.

100% contagious. I have one who was good and broody and not giving up. So, I gave her eggs. Midway through her sitting I had 3 different girls toy with the idea on the same day. They all fluffed up and growled at me when I opened up the coop 🤣. 2 gave up within a day. One is still toying with the idea, she mama clucks to the chicks and hordes eggs. I thought she was over it, but today she's acting full on again.

Back
Top Bottom