Broody chickens breaking eggs

Aussiechickener

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
So I have 6 chickens, 5 of which lay. At the moment two are broody and one looks like she might go broody. The problem is because I don't have segregated boxes (just two long boxes) the girls like to huddle in or steal each others spots when laying. Since one of my broody girls tends to be aggressive this can end with a lot of pecking and fights when someone wants to lay an egg where she is sitting. The other day I found an egg with a hole in it like someone pecked it, and today I found an egg on the ground like it had been kicked out of the box. Im not sure if one of the girls is doing it on purpose or if the eggs are getting caught in the cross fire when the girls are fighting for spots in the box. Is this normal behaviour between chickens? I'm considering making a series of segregated boxes just for the broody girls so they aren't in the way of anyone who actually wants to lay eggs. Would this be a good solution or is there another way to fix this?

Note:
The angry broody girl (a Sussex) is my biggest chicken. She's 3rd in the pecking order so she can be pretty aggressive with the girls below her which are a bantam Sussex and two silkies. I've only had her for about 4 months or so, so I'm not sure if she'll get better over time or always be a little grumpy. She's also the only one of my girls who pecks people; if you try and touch her in the box to take eggs or move her she will peck and bite you. None of my other girls do this, and the worst you'll get out of any of them is a grumpy noise.

Sometimes those feisty broody moms are the best. I had one who I witnessed flying, flapping and screaching into the face of a completely shocked looking fox.
I always recommend setting up a separate brooding box for the hen and her hatching process.
Brooding in GP coops most times can lead to broken eggs, nest stealing and chilled eggs, staggered batch, breaking of the broody because of daily harrasment and bother from other hens looking to lay fresh eggs.
Sometimes the other egg layers will start laying eggs elswhere (where you cant find them)to avoid the fighting.
Good luck with your broodys!

Back
Top Bottom