Broody/ egg laying/ 117 degree weather

Katynova

Chirping
Oct 8, 2021
I thought only one hen laid yesterday because only one egg was in the nesting area. It was 117 in Phoenix but turns out all these eggs were behind the coop and a broody hen was on them.

Obviously need to break the hen immediately, but should all the eggs be tossed??

I can't believe my chickens are laying in this weather 🥵🥵🥵

A67A5FF7-7181-483A-8F8F-D100E406F8D4.jpeg

I thought only one hen laid yesterday because only one egg was in the nesting area. It was 117 in Phoenix but turns out all these eggs were behind the coop and a broody hen was on them.

Obviously need to break the hen immediately, but should all the eggs be tossed??

I can't believe my chickens are laying in this weather 🥵🥵🥵

View attachment 3577981
According to Brinsea, eggs sitting around above 80F can be starting to develop; however, you said a broody hen was on them, so if so, she'd keep them at the temp she is at, which supposedly is 99.5. If you're going to break her, I'd scramble those eggs up and give them a treat. No way would I keep them for us to eat.

According to Brinsea, eggs sitting around above 80F can be starting to develop; however, you said a broody hen was on them, so if so, she'd keep them at the temp she is at, which supposedly is 99.5. If you're going to break her, I'd scramble those eggs up and give them a treat. No way would I keep them for us to eat.
We don't have a rooster right now. But I do think those temps for over 24 hours potentially with at least a few of them makes them questionable.

Back
Top Bottom