Broody found in Hay bales with chicks

JackVinehopper

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
I just discovered one of my hens has been hiding in my hay bales and hatched some chicks! She was broody over summer and I could not break her of it. I guess she got her wish. Anyway, we are into late September and how do I care for momma hen and her chicks? Let her do her thing or take chicks away and place them in a brooder? We live in the Pacific North West and we will get freezing temps in a few weeks or less. Can she feed them without layer mash on her own somehow? If I provide mash how can I keep the other 26 chickens, including two roosters, from eating the layer mash? I've only done incubator hatching so this is new to me.

I just discovered one of my hens has been hiding in my hay bales and hatched some chicks! She was broody over summer and I could not break her of it. I guess she got her wish. Anyway, we are into late September and how do I care for momma hen and her chicks? Let her do her thing or take chicks away and place them in a brooder? We live in the Pacific North West and we will get freezing temps in a few weeks or less. Can she feed them without layer mash on her own somehow? If I provide mash how can I keep the other 26 chickens, including two roosters, from eating the layer mash? I've only done incubator hatching so this is new to me.
The chicks will be fine with mom. By the time the temps start getting really cold, they'll be feathered out.
Make sure you have waterers that the chicks will be safe drinking from.
Just put the entire flock on chick starter or Flock Raiser and put out a container or two of oyster shell for free choice feeding of any hens currently laying and they will all be just fine. I would leave them on this feeding practice permanently.
The chicks don't have to be able to reach the feeders yet. Mom feeds them.

Thank you for a quick and very helpful reply.

The chicks will be fine with mom. By the time the temps start getting really cold, they'll be feathered out.
Make sure you have waterers that the chicks will be safe drinking from.
Just put the entire flock on chick starter or Flock Raiser and put out a container or two of oyster shell for free choice feeding of any hens currently laying and they will all be just fine. I would leave them on this feeding practice permanently.
The chicks don't have to be able to reach the feeders yet. Mom feeds them.
I do have a grow out coop I used in the spring for this years batch I hatched earlier. I'll leave them in the hay bales with food/water for few days and then move them there. Although I wouldn't say that coop is winter worthy, just private with nest boxes. There is no way they will be able to join the rest of the flock in the winter coop even after feathering out. I'm scratching my head on that one.

I do have a grow out coop I used in the spring for this years batch I hatched earlier. I'll leave them in the hay bales with food/water for few days and then move them there. Although I wouldn't say that coop is winter worthy, just private with nest boxes. There is no way they will be able to join the rest of the flock in the winter coop even after feathering out. I'm scratching my head on that one.
Then when they are feathered out and they no longer need their mother, sell them or give them away. If you don't have room for her and her chicks, you don't have room for her and her GROWN chicks.

Back
Top Bottom