Broody goes Raising Arizona

Sahraschweiss

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Wildwood, Missouri
I have a large flock of mixed ages. Some 3 years, some a year, 7 that are 10 weeks old, and 4 that are 5 weeks old.

I have a Buff Orpington that has gone broody for the third year in a row. She's been dragoning (puffed up and pissed off at everything) for a week or two, but the past two days has finally settled into a nest.

Last night at bed check, we were missing one of the five weeks old. Couldn't find the little black sexlink anywhere. Looked in the coop, out in the run. No dice. Went back in the coop to count one more time and noticed little momma is making the shut up and be still sound as she tries to settle in the nest. She's sitting on fake eggs.. nothing should be moving.

We go to investigate and sure enough under her is a very wiggly missing 5 weeks old. That little chick jumped into my hand and I swear she sighed in relief when I put her on a perch.

I'm guessing little momma saw the baby as she was making it past the nests to get to the perches and momma thought "I must have baby! Get in my nest now!"

Little momma would probably adopt anything.

Back
Top Bottom