Broody hen abandoned eggs

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
I had a broody Brahma that had a case of cold feet for motherhood. She abandoned her eggs yesterday and again today, leaving them uncovered for more than 6hrs a day during a typical mountain spring day that barely reached 55 degrees.
I have had this problem before each time one of my hens go broody. To ensure they stick it out i usually lock them in the nesting box with food and water and it usually works.
This time she quit before i could get her secured. This evening she was in a different box again with eggs under her. I discarded the original 27 eggs she was sitting on and locked ger down with 6 fresh eggs.
I have never had a brahma stay on the eggs long enough to hatch without locking her in a box. Is this typical if the breed? What factors make them abandon the eggs?
Ps. All the hens locked down until hatching have been Excellent mothers to the young

Wow 27 eggs may have been a bit much. Is she staying on the new eggs? I don't have braham. I have had a hen stop being broody the day before hatch. She was caged in the coop, but she tossed the eggs around. I saved one with the incubator.

Wow 27 eggs may have been a bit much. Is she staying on the new eggs? I don't have braham. I have had a hen stop being broody the day before hatch. She was caged in the coop, but she tossed the eggs around. I saved one with the incubator.
She is now locked in with them. She is sitting very well with another 12 eggs under her.
My broodies (4 different birds in last 4 yrs) give up every time at around the 8-10 day mark. But when locked in with no choice they are excellent at hatching and are great moms.
I was just thinking that with multiple birds, from multiple generations, and each year during different seasons its always the same result (if not locked in) that perhaps it was a breed thing?

Back
Top Bottom