Broody hen off nest

Bobthechicken123

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2021
I have a 1 year old australorp hen who has been broody for about 24 hours now and I haven't haven't seen her off for 24 hours but about an hour ago I went to check on her and she wasn't on the nest but the eggs were quite warm, I left thinking she would just come back but I just checked and she still isn't on and hasn't been for about an hour, the eggs are quite cool now but not cold and all 15 chickens are here except her (they free range on 10 acres) I don't know where she is, will the eggs not develop now, what should I do?

Its 5:18pm now and she's still nowhere to be seen, been off the nest for almost an hour and a half, am I worrying too much or is this a real problem, I have never hatches chickens before only raised them I have hatched ducks tho

Can you barrow an incubator or build one?
No I was planning on having her hatch fertile eggs because she went broody last year but I didn't have fertile eggs so I thought she would be a good mother but she's still not back now I'm worrying

I have a 1 year old australorp hen who has been broody for about 24 hours now and I haven't haven't seen her off for 24 hours but about an hour ago I went to check on her and she wasn't on the nest but the eggs were quite warm, I left thinking she would just come back but I just checked and she still isn't on and hasn't been for about an hour, the eggs are quite cool now but not cold and all 15 chickens are here except her (they free range on 10 acres) I don't know where she is, will the eggs not develop now, what should I do?
Relax Bob, it'll probably be fine. Unless you're experiencing extreme weather of course.
I've had one who was off the nest for 1/2 day every day during the first 5 days, and another who was a bit part-time to start, and the eggs/chicks were none the worse for it. Where are you?

Back
Top Bottom